Divorce and Income Tax Problems: Strategies for Resolving IRS Disputes and Liabilities in Divorce Proceedings
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide family law practitioners about how to resolve tax delinquencies, disputes, and controversies when a couple is divorcing. The tax issue may be known at the time divorce is initiated or arise afterward, or even come into existence because of the divorce. This webinar will discuss options for dealing with tax disputes in divorce, refunds claimed by both spouses, and the proper way to file while the divorce is pending.
- Known tax disputes at time of filing
- Tax disputes that emerge after filing
- Tax issues of debt exposures/forgiveness of the ex-spouse
- Relief from joint and several liability
- Innocent spouse relief
- Separation of liability
- Equitable relief
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How can counsel identify income tax issues with divorced or divorcing parties?
- How have the courts resolved tax disputes in or after a divorce?
- What are the options when only one spouse incurs tax liabilities?
- What are the alternatives when one spouse has committed a tax crime?
Kelly L. Burris
Cordell & Cordell
Ms. Burris has settled and litigated complex custody cases and property cases involving multi-million dollar estates.... | Read More
Ms. Burris has settled and litigated complex custody cases and property cases involving multi-million dollar estates. She has also successfully litigated child custody relocation cases.Close
Josh Shilts, CPA/ABV/CFF/CGMA, CFE
Mr. Shilts provides law firms, corporations, individuals, trustees, receivers and government entities with expert... | Read More
Mr. Shilts provides law firms, corporations, individuals, trustees, receivers and government entities with expert analysis of financial issues resulting from judicial proceedings, regulation, and strategic decisions.Close