Divorce and Financial Witness Depositions: Strategies, Techniques for Revealing a Complete Financial Picture
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide family law attorneys through deposing witnesses concerning financial records and other documents containing financial information or reflecting financial condition. The panel will review deposition strategies and practical techniques for asking questions about business and personal tax returns, W-2s and 1099s, financial statements, spending patterns, and more to ensure that a complete and accurate financial picture is obtained.
- Goals of deposition
- Use of accountants and other financial experts
- Structuring depositions for difficult and evasive witnesses
- Questioning about specific documents
- Income tax returns and related documents
- Financial statements
- Other common documents with financial information
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What deposition questioning techniques will maximize the information obtained from witnesses?
- How should deposition best practices be applied when structuring a deposition for an evasive witness?
- How will these approaches improve counsel's ability to impeach an opposing witness?
Andrea E. Nelson
Burns & Levinson
A Senior Associate in the firm’s Divorce & Family Law Litigation Group, Ms. Nelson works with a wide range of... | Read More
A Senior Associate in the firm’s Divorce & Family Law Litigation Group, Ms. Nelson works with a wide range of clients involved in divorce and family law matters. Her practice focuses on divorce, paternity, child custody, support, modification, and contempt matters. Ms. Nelson also routinely negotiates and drafts prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.Close
Catherine E. Spanu
Burns & Levinson
Ms. Spanu is an associate in the Private Client Group. She represents clients in divorce, alimony, child support, child... | Read More
Ms. Spanu is an associate in the Private Client Group. She represents clients in divorce, alimony, child support, child custody, and removal matters, post-divorce modification actions, complaints to establishing maternity and paternity, complaints for contempt, and drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. Ms. Spanu also assists clients in guardianship, conservatorship, and other probate litigation matters.Close