Directed Trusts in Estate Planning: New State Law Changes, Critical Structuring Issues, Advising Fiduciaries
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide an in-depth analysis of critical issues in using and structuring directed trusts in estate planning and advising fiduciaries on potential legal implications. The panel will discuss key considerations in determining when a directed trust is appropriate, critical provisions when drafting trust documents, converting existing trusts to directed trusts, assigning duties, avoiding unintentional fiduciary classifications, and navigating state law challenges.
- Challenges in the use of directed trusts as a planning vehicle
- Critical terms and provisions of directed trusts
- Fiduciary rules governing trust directors and directed trustees
- UDTA and state approaches to directed trusts
- Best practices for drafting and modifying existing directed trusts
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the key states' approaches to directed trusts?
- What are the statutory requirements for structuring directed trusts?
- What are the benefits and fiduciary and tax risks in using directed trusts?
- What are the critical terms and provisions to consider in structuring directed trusts?
- What are the challenges of converting an existing trust to a directed trust?
- How can directed trusts be used for special needs trusts?
- What are the critical areas of focus in advising fiduciaries serving under a directed trust?
Jeffrey B. Kadavy, JD, CTFA
President & Chief Executive Officer
Trail Ridge Wealth Management
With more than 15 years in financial services, Mr. Kadavy's professional expertise includes consulting with... | Read More
With more than 15 years in financial services, Mr. Kadavy's professional expertise includes consulting with high-net-worth individuals regarding complex estate and financial planning needs and the administration of personal and charitable trusts.Close
Dylan H. Metzner
Jones & Keller
Mr. Metzner counsels individuals and families throughout the United States and internationally with their tax, estate... | Read More
Mr. Metzner counsels individuals and families throughout the United States and internationally with their tax, estate and private wealth planning needs, guiding them through the maze of laws and practical considerations, moving each client closer to achieving goals and resolving outstanding issues.Close