Deposing Nursing Home Employees and Owners in Neglect and Abuse Cases
Questioning Deponents, Using Demonstrative Exhibits, Raising and Defending Objections, Dealing With Difficult Deponents
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide medical malpractice and personal injury attorneys with an in-depth analysis of deposition practice in nursing home injury cases. The webinar will discuss best practices for identifying and questioning deponents, videotaping depositions, using demonstrative exhibits, dealing with difficult witnesses, and raising and defending objections.
- Purpose of the deposition
- Prove the case by gaining admissions of rule violations, causation and damages
- Develop a roadmap for adverse examination
- Create traps for witnesses
- Discredit future defense experts
- Techniques and strategies to prepare for and take the deposition
- Knowing your goals, the facts, the witnesses, the rules and the damages
- Anticipating defenses
- Role playing
- Objecting and responding to defense objections
- Creating traps for evasive or difficult deponents
- Do's and don'ts during the deposition
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What topics should attorneys explore when questioning nursing home staff and owners during depositions?
- When and how should attorneys use demonstrative exhibits during depositions of nursing home staff and owners?
- What are best practices for dealing with difficult deponents?
- How to effectively question deponents to discredit defense experts
- What are effective techniques for raising and defending objections during depositions of nursing home staff and owners?
Levin & Perconti
Ms. Ayllon has worked on an array of cases, including a defamation lawsuit, a case involving a mental-health patient... | Read More
Ms. Ayllon has worked on an array of cases, including a defamation lawsuit, a case involving a mental-health patient who was negligently discharged from a hospital and later jumped from her balcony and eventually died, and several other elder abuse, nursing home and medical malpractice cases.Close
Michael F. Bonamarte, IV
Levin & Perconti
Mr. Bonamarte has been advocating for the rights of the elderly who have been abused and neglected in nursing homes for... | Read More
Mr. Bonamarte has been advocating for the rights of the elderly who have been abused and neglected in nursing homes for over a decade. He has achieved numerous jury verdicts and settlements in nursing home cases in excess of a million dollars. Most recently, in November of 2017, Mr. Bonamarte obtained a $2.77 million dollar verdict in a nursing home fall case. He is a highly sought after speaker nationally and speaks regularly on the topic of deposition and trial techniques and strategies in nursing home neglect and abuse cases. He is a current officer of the American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group.Close
Steven M. Levin
Founder and Senior Partner
Levin & Perconti
Mr. Levin is the senior and founding partner of Levin & Perconti, a 25 attorney nationally renowned law firm in... | Read More
Mr. Levin is the senior and founding partner of Levin & Perconti, a 25 attorney nationally renowned law firm in Chicago. He is one of the founding members and original officers of the American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group. He is one of the first attorneys to prosecute nursing home neglect and abuse cases in the country. His firm has recovered in excess of $750 million dollars on behalf of their clients. Mr. Levin has taken great pride in mentoring young attorneys at the firm and teaching them the ins and outs of trial practice and the business aspect of plaintiff’s personal injury law. Two of those young attorneys that Mr. Levin has mentored include his now partners Michael Bonamarte and Margaret Battersby Black, both of whom started their legal careers as law clerks at Levin & Perconti.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 03/22/19)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $170 (through 03/22/19)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$224 + $19.45 S&H