Deposing Named Plaintiffs in Employment Class and Collective Actions: Plaintiff and Defense Strategies
Uncovering and Leveraging Issues of Adequacy and Commonality During Certification, Settlement and Trial
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare litigators representing putative class members or employers in employment class or collective actions to depose or defend depositions of named plaintiffs. The panel will outline techniques for effectively preparing or questioning named plaintiffs and offer strategies to leverage deposition testimony during certification, settlement and trial.
- Timing of deposition
- Questioning named plaintiffs and responding to objections
- Preparing named plaintiff for deposition and objecting to questions
- Using exhibits
- Using information obtained from social media
The panel will review these and other principal issues:
- What types of questions and questioning techniques will maximize the information obtained from named plaintiffs during depositions?
- What strategies are effective when responding to objections during depositions of named plaintiffs?
- What are the most effective ways for counsel to raise objections to questions during the deposition of a named plaintiff?
- How are class litigators incorporating social media into the deposition process?
- How can deposition testimony be most effectively used during class certification, settlement and trial?
Jesse A. Cripps
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
Mr. Cripps handles the full range of labor and employment matters under federal and state law, specializing in the... | Read More
Mr. Cripps handles the full range of labor and employment matters under federal and state law, specializing in the defense of high-risk, complex and class action litigation. He has a wide-range of courtroom experience, including several months of experience in various state and federal jury trials. He speaks regularly on employment issues.Close
Brock J. Specht
Mr. Specht is an experienced litigator dedicated to representing plaintiffs in a variety of disputes. His practice is... | Read More
Mr. Specht is an experienced litigator dedicated to representing plaintiffs in a variety of disputes. His practice is focused on lawsuits against companies that have violated the law, representing both individuals and classes of people that have been harmed by unlawful corporate conduct. Mr. Specht has a special emphasis representing consumers who have been harmed by unfair and unlawful practices. His experience includes successfully representing clients in complex multimillion-dollar lawsuits in numerous federal courts across the country, in private arbitration, and before administrative agencies.Close