Daubert Motions in Class Certification Proceedings
Strategies for Plaintiffs and Defendants Using or Challenging Expert Testimony at the Certification Stage
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will brief class action attorneys on the relevant rules of evidence during the class certification hearing, discuss the applicability of Daubert to expert witnesses at the certification stage, and offer strategies for plaintiffs and defendants to manage Daubert concerns during certification.
- Intersection of Daubert and Rule 23 class certification—legal developments
- Historical views of circuit courts
- Recent trends—"rigorous analysis" of expert testimony under Rule 23
- Using Daubert motions to defeat class certification—defense strategies
- Defending Daubert challenges at class certification stage—plaintiff strategies
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the applicable rules of evidence during class certification and how does Daubert apply?
- What types of cases are particularly suited to Daubert challenges to class certification?
- Under what circumstances might counsel decide against filing a Daubert motion at the class certification stage?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
John Randall Whaley
Neblett Beard & Arsenault
His practice focuses on class actions, complex litigation, consumer protection, wrongful death, and serious personal... | Read More
His practice focuses on class actions, complex litigation, consumer protection, wrongful death, and serious personal injury representing victims and consumers injured by the negligence and fraud of others. He is an experienced litigator, having tried many cases and class certification issues in both state and federal courts, as well as having argued in many appellate courts.Close
Steptoe & Johnson
She is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Technology Departments and concentrates her practice on mass torts,... | Read More
She is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Technology Departments and concentrates her practice on mass torts, class actions, product liability, and other complex disputes involving inter-connected regulatory, legislative, litigation, and public relations issues. As a result of her experience with large-scale litigation, she has particular knowledge concerning e-discovery and related issues.Close