Data Privacy Class Actions: Navigating Latest Legal Theories, Leveraging Defense Strategies, Evaluating Insurance Coverage
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine the most recent data privacy and breach class actions; evaluate new and emerging liability theories and the courts’ varying treatment of standing and statutory damages issues; and offer strategies to leverage insurance coverage to mitigate financial risks for businesses.
- Latest litigation developments
- Does standing even matter if you’re faced with (or wielding) a statutory damages claim?
- If data is the new oil, will data breach and privacy become the new asbestos? Litigation and settlement trends
- Potential new areas of risk and reward: a defense and plaintiff view
- Will big data lead to big problems for business and big opportunities for plaintiffs?
- The Internet of Things: assessing the risks
- Potential game changers: FTC and AG actions and the role of potential new legislation
- Mitigating the risks: insurance and third-party contractual considerations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the emerging theories of liability for exposing a customer’s personal identification data?
- What alternatives to traditional statutory damages are courts considering for large class actions?
- What insurance coverage may be available to cover privacy and data breaches and how can companies maximize existing insurance coverage?
Natasha G. Kohne
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Ms. Kohne is Co-Leader of the firm’s Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Practice and Middle East... | Read More
Ms. Kohne is Co-Leader of the firm’s Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Practice and Middle East Practice, in which capacity she spends significant amounts of time assisting clients in the U.S., the Middle East and other international markets. Ms. Kohne has also spearheaded the firm’s international efforts in relation to data protection and cybersecurity.Close
Kirsten C. Jackson, Esq.
Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman
Ms. Jackson works on behalf of companies to recover insurance assets. She assists in obtaining millions of dollars in... | Read More
Ms. Jackson works on behalf of companies to recover insurance assets. She assists in obtaining millions of dollars in insurance coverage for clients under CGL, professional liability, D&O liability, E&O liability, and life insurance. Ms. Jackson is experienced in all stages of litigation and non-adversarial dealings with insurers, including coverage analysis and advising, claims correspondence, mediations, pleadings, written discovery, document production, depositions, motion practice, trial preparation, and settlement.Close
Donna L. Wilson
Manatt Phelps & Phillips
Ms. Wilson is resident in the Los Angeles office of Manatt, Phelps, and Phillips, LLC. Ms. Wilson co-chairs the... | Read More
Ms. Wilson is resident in the Los Angeles office of Manatt, Phelps, and Phillips, LLC. Ms. Wilson co-chairs the litigation group of Manatt Digital Media, as well as Manatt’s privacy and data security practice team. Her practice focuses on class action defense and data security/privacy litigation risk management and counseling across a range of industries, including new media, e-commerce, retail, telecommunications, and financial services.Close