Data Privacy Class Actions and Biometric Legislation: Standing and Certification Issues in Facebook and Google
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss the recent decisions in biometric-capture litigation against Facebook and Google, as well as implications for standing and pre-certification standards under state biometric privacy laws.
- Defining biometric data and privacy concerns
- Overview of existing biometric data privacy legislation
- Recent biometric class actions
- Implications for plaintiffs and companies in the changing landscape of biometric-capture litigation
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- What is biometric data and how is it obtained?
- How is biometric data privacy protected by legislation?
- How are courts weighing biometric data privacy concerns in class action lawsuits?
- How can counsel leverage recent class action trends to advise their clients on biometric data privacy issues?
Shearman & Sterling
Ms. Mossman has represented plaintiffs and defendants in domestic and international disputes at the trial and appellate... | Read More
Ms. Mossman has represented plaintiffs and defendants in domestic and international disputes at the trial and appellate level and in multidistrict litigation. These cases have included complex commercial, antitrust, RICO, and class-action claims on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. Currently, she focuses her practice on antitrust litigation brought by private litigants alleging violations under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.Close
Alfred J. Saikali
Chair, Privacy and Data Security Practice
Shook Hardy & Bacon
Mr. Saikali represents companies in class action lawsuits arising from data breaches and other data privacy issues. For... | Read More
Mr. Saikali represents companies in class action lawsuits arising from data breaches and other data privacy issues. For those clients who suspect a data breach, he designs and leads the breach response; directs the data forensic investigation; advises as to legal obligations to notify affected consumers, business partners and regulators; oversees the notification of third parties; communicates with law enforcement; responds to regulatory inquiries; and provides representation in litigation and enforcement actions arising from the breach.Close