Data Center Development, Operation and Financing: Special Concerns for Real Estate Counsel
Addressing Environmental Controls and Power, Connectivity, Access and Security Requirements; Service and Licensing Agreements
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will acquaint real estate counsel with the issues associated with the development, operation and financing of data centers. The panel will discuss features that make data centers unique—including power usage, connectivity, temperature and humidity controls, and security—as well as solutions to the leasing challenges unique to data centers.
- Types of facilities - closet, office, repurposed, new construction
- Unique features of data center
- Power—significant, uniterrupted
- Environmental controls—temperature, humidity
- Connectivity—fiber access, multiple carriers
- Physical intergrity—ability to withstand weather events, natural disasters
- Regulatory issues associated with data center development
- Leasing Issues
- Financing Issues
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the unique attributes of data centers, and how do they effect development costs?
- How does the critical nature of data and IT services impact the potential liability of the operator as landlord?
- How do licenses and service agreements used in data centers differ from leases?
- Why is financing a data center more difficult than more conventional property types?
Michael D. Rechtin, Jr.
Mr. Rechtin's practice has a focus on data center, headquarters, office, industrial and retail leasing. He also... | Read More
Mr. Rechtin's practice has a focus on data center, headquarters, office, industrial and retail leasing. He also handles data center transactions in general, build-to-suit transactions, acquisitions, dispositions, financings, joint ventures and development. With more than 20 years of real estate law experience, Mr. Rechtin has represented life insurance companies both locally and nationally, Fortune 500 companies, pension funds and pension fund advisors, investment advisory groups, commercial developers, real estate entrepreneurs, REITs and professional services firms.Close
Brian Zurawski, Esq.
Mr. Zurawski practices in the firm’s Banking, Finance, Major Projects & Real Estate Practice Group He... | Read More
Mr. Zurawski practices in the firm’s Banking, Finance, Major Projects & Real Estate Practice Group He advises on real estate and finance matters, particularly with date center leasing. Mr. Zurawski also has experience advising on matters relating to the acquisition, development, operation and sale of power projects.Close