Data Breaches in Healthcare: Responding to Skyrocketing Cyber Attacks
Managing Risk, Responding to Breaches and OCR Investigations, Minimizing HIPAA Liability
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to healthcare practitioners and in-house counsel on protecting data security in the healthcare industry. The panel will review best practices for breach preparedness and breach response and discuss effective approaches for managing regulatory compliance, litigation risk, and insurance coverage.
- Breach Preparedness Strategies
- HIPAA and regulatory compliance
- Cyber risk assessments
- Vendor management
- Cyber Insurance
- Responding to the Breach
- Effective response planning
- PHI reporting and notice obligations
- Damage mitigation
- Pursuing insurance recovery
- Responding to an OCR investigation
- Interacting with regulators
- Establishing investigation parameters
- Data protection
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What measures should healthcare providers take to ensure compliance with HIPAA and state law privacy and security requirements?
- What steps should healthcare providers and their counsel take in response to a data breach to mitigate damages?
- How to prepare for and appropriately navigate government investigations resulting from a data breach.
- What types of breach-related costs are covered by cyber insurance?
- What steps should healthcare companies take after a breach occurs to maximize their insurance recovery?
Mr. Carlson has over 15 years’ experience in data security and data privacy, and provides guidance to companies... | Read More
Mr. Carlson has over 15 years’ experience in data security and data privacy, and provides guidance to companies on obtaining and maintaining private and governmental compliance. He specializes in healthcare legal compliance with HIPAA, including performing audits, risk assessments, vendor risk assessments, and assessments in relation to BAs, subcontractors, breach and policies and documentation. He is currently Co-Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Data Privacy & Data Security Committee.Close
Richard (Rich) DeNatale
Mr. DeNatale has more than 20 years of experience advising corporate policyholders on insurance claims and coverage... | Read More
Mr. DeNatale has more than 20 years of experience advising corporate policyholders on insurance claims and coverage litigation. He is one of the nation's leading lawyers in the field of cyber insurance and data breach claims and has handled insurance claims for some of the largest breaches in history. Over his career, Mr. DeNatale he has handled a wide range of insurance claims, settlements, and coverage litigation throughout the country related to energy, hospitality, manufacturing, real estate, and employment exposures.Close
Todd S. McClelland
Mr. McClelland advises clients on data breach response and other information security-related issues, including... | Read More
Mr. McClelland advises clients on data breach response and other information security-related issues, including pre-breach cybersecurity risk assessment and management, compliance, response preparedness, and other risk mitigation activities. He also counsels clients on data privacy issues, outsourcing transactions, technology and data licensing, technology audits, and cloud transactions. He has particular experience with PCI/payment system incidents, HIPAA-related incidents, critical infrastructure security, global privacy compliance, and IP theft.Close