Combating Discrimination in Personal Injury Cases: Impact of Race, Gender, and Ethnicity on Liability and Damages
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will focus on how lawyers in personal injury cases can account for and address race, gender, and ethnicity assumptions in themselves and in others and how those assumptions impact the court system in general and case resolution in particular. Stereotypes and assumptions may be express or implicit and expressed in words or actions. Attorneys must understand how these prejudices can profoundly affect perceptions of justice as well as settlement terms and recoveries.
- How bias and prejudice present in the judicial system among participants
- Interaction with the court and other attorneys
- Perception of injury and damages
- Negotiations, settlement, damages
- Effective ways to uncover and counter unfair prejudices
- How bias and prejudice impact the outcome of specific cases
- Excluding "data" that decreases damages based on gender
- California's S.B. 41 barring reduction of damages based on race, gender, ethnicity
- Motions and other tactics
The panel will review these and other issues
- What bias triggers exist in particular cases?
- What tools equip attorneys to see bias in dealing with witnesses on cross and on direct?
- When do biases exclude some of the most favorable jurors?
- When is it ever appropriate to leverage bias?
- How can biased data be excluded from the case?
James W. Balmer
Falsani Balmer Peterson & Balmer
Mr. Balmer has represented thousands of people in all kinds of litigation, including jury trials, workers’... | Read More
Mr. Balmer has represented thousands of people in all kinds of litigation, including jury trials, workers’ compensation trials and hearings, social security disability hearings, and appeals in those areas. He has handled car crash, slip-and-fall, work site injuries, defective product claims, dog attack, liquor liability claims and other kinds of bodily injury matters. Mr. Balmer has lectured at various seminars, primarily in the areas of trial tactics and workers’ compensation issues.Close
Katherine A. Cárdenas
Lucas & Cárdenas
Ms. Cárdenas has more than 20 years of experience representing adults and minors who have suffered debilitating... | Read More
Ms. Cárdenas has more than 20 years of experience representing adults and minors who have suffered debilitating injuries in every area of personal injury. Ms. Cárdenas is a member of the highly esteemed Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum due to her repeated success in winning multi-million dollar settlements for her clients. She has tried numerous cases in state and federal court and has argued before the Supreme Court of Illinois.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 07/31/20)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $170 (through 07/31/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$224 + $24.45 S&H