Class Action Tolling Issues: Untangling Which Class Claims May Survive Dismissal From Federal Court
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss opportunities and challenges created by both federal and state tolling rules after the significant contraction of federal standing after TransUnion LLC v. Ramirez, 141 S.Ct. 2190 (2021). The program will review controlling cases on tolling of claims during the pendency of a federal class action, cross-jurisdictional tolling, and what both plaintiffs and defendants need to know in order to preserve claims or prevent serial class actions.
- Overview of federal class action tolling
- Impact of Ramirez
- Identifying which claims are and are not tolled by filing of class action
- Tolling effect of class actions when multiple state law and federal claims are asserted in the class action
- Effect of no certification, obviously defective class actions, decertification
- Application of tolling to statutes of repose
The panel will review these and other pivotal issues:
- What is the scope of China Agritech Inc. v. Resh?
- Does a cause of action exist if no one has standing to assert it?
- How do cross-jurisdictional tolling rules affect the analysis?
- What are best strategies for plaintiffs and for defendants?
Tanya L. Greene
Ms. Greene is a respected litigator, an innovative diversity and pro bono champion, and an influential mentor. She... | Read More
Ms. Greene is a respected litigator, an innovative diversity and pro bono champion, and an influential mentor. She works on high-profile, complex litigation for some of the most prominent corporations in the world. Ms. Greene has extensive experience managing consumer class actions and complex multi-plaintiff litigation for her Fortune 100 clients in heavily regulated industries, including finance, technology, aerospace and petroleum. She also serves on the firm’s national recruiting committee and is the pro bono coordinator for the firm’s Los Angeles Downtown and Century City offices.Close
Brian D. Schmalzbach
Mr. Schmalzbach is a co-chair of the firm’s Appeals and Issues group. He concentrates on appellate litigation,... | Read More
Mr. Schmalzbach is a co-chair of the firm’s Appeals and Issues group. He concentrates on appellate litigation, high-stakes dispositive motions, and class action strategy.Close