Challenges Facing a Law Firm's In-House Counsel: Following Ethics Rules While Protecting the Interests of the Firm
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will examine why firms designate in-house ethics counsel, the role of the ethics counsel, and ethical issues that arise from consulting with in-house counsel. The panel will offer best practices for law firms creating and employing in-house ethics advisers.
- Advantages of appointing in-house ethics counsel
- Duties to the law firm's clients when consulting with in-house ethics counsel
- Client notification and waiver
- Disclosure requirements
- Reporting of misconduct
- Best practices for law firms to avoid ethics violations
- Preparing for a potential claim against the firm
The panel will review these and other essential questions:
- Is an attorney-client relationship created between the in-house ethics counsel and another attorney seeking an ethics consultation within the firm?
- When a lawyer seeks advice from the law firm's in-house counsel, how can the firm ensure that the communications are privileged?
- What information is the law firm ethically obligated to disclose to the client, and how should the firm make that disclosure?
- What should in-house counsel do if a client sues, or threatens to sue, the firm?
Charles Davant, IV
Williams & Connolly
Mr. Davant represents clients in high-stakes litigation. He has represented clients in disputes over contracts, trade... | Read More
Mr. Davant represents clients in high-stakes litigation. He has represented clients in disputes over contracts, trade secrets, IP licenses, real estate, civil rights, labor law, financial services, and numerous other areas in state and federal courts, and in JAMS, AAA, and ICC arbitrations. Mr. Davant has particular experience defending law firms and accounting firms accused of malpractice or other wrongdoing. He has represented many of the largest law firms and accounting firms.Close
Geri S. Krauss
Ms. Krauss is a respected litigator and recognized expert on complex issues relating to professional partnerships.... | Read More
Ms. Krauss is a respected litigator and recognized expert on complex issues relating to professional partnerships. She counsels lawyers in disputes involving partners, employees and their firms, as well as negotiates and litigates such disputes. She often speaks and authors on lateral hiring and wrote Partner Departures and Lateral Moves: A Legal and Ethical Guide (ABA 2009).Close
David Randall J. Riskin
Williams & Connolly
An experienced commercial litigator at both the trial and appellate level, Mr. Riskin manages complex matters in state... | Read More
An experienced commercial litigator at both the trial and appellate level, Mr. Riskin manages complex matters in state and federal courts, with a particular focus on defending professional liability and conflict-of-interests claims against law firms. He engages all aspects of a matter by developing case themes, building expert strategies, preparing and defending key witnesses, and designing early-stage litigation strategies resulting in pre-trial dismissals and favorable settlements.Close