California's New National Origin Discrimination Regulations for Employers
Updated Rules Governing Language Restrictions, Immigration Status Inquiries, Height and Weight Requirements
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the new national origin regulations from California’s Fair Employment and Housing Council (FEHC) effective July 1, 2018. The expert panel will delve into the new definition of “national origin,” permissible and prohibited types of employer policies on language restrictions in the workplace, immigration status inquiries, and height and weight requirements for work.
- Overview of California’s new FEHC regulations regarding national origin discrimination
- Expanded definition of “national origin”
- Prohibited height and weight requirements for jobs
- An updated standard for rules governing language restrictions in the workplace
- Limitations on verifying work eligibility
- Interplay with existing state and federal laws
- Possible pitfalls for employers
- Best practices for businesses and counsel in light of the recent regulatory changes
The panel will review these and other high priority issues:
- What are California’s new FEHC regulations regarding national origin discrimination?
- How do California’s new national origin discrimination regulations overlap with existing state and federal law?
- How can employers ensure that written workplace policies comply with the new regulations?
- What types of training can employers provide to employees and management to ensure day-to-day compliance with the new regulations?
Cara F. Barrick
Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart
Ms. Barrick has extensive experience representing businesses of all sizes in employment law compliance issues,... | Read More
Ms. Barrick has extensive experience representing businesses of all sizes in employment law compliance issues, including counseling in best practices, drafting employment policies, and coaching in hiring, disciplinary and separation decisions. She is often engaged to assist clients in auditing job duties to properly classify employees under various wage and hour laws. Her SPHR-CA and SHRM-SCP certifications reflect her commitment to the HR profession and competency in the legal issues that matter most to HR professionals. An experienced litigator, Ms. Barrick defends lawsuits and administrative claims with a practical and strategic approach. She has represented clients in matters pending before state trial and appellate courts; federal district courts; and various federal, state and local agencies.Close
to be announced.
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 07/27/18)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 07/27/18)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $9.45 S&H