Business Succession Planning: Estate Planning Vehicles, Common Issues, Best Practices
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide counsel in developing and implementing such a process and an appropriate succession plan. The panel will discuss how to build a business case and address other needs to help create a successful succession plan and process.
- Overview of succession planning and its importance
- Discussion of how estate planning counsel can work to draft and maintain a business succession plan
- Common types of succession planning vehicles
- Common issues with succession planning
- Best practices for maintaining and updating a formal business succession plan
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- Why is succession planning important for all businesses?
- What is an estate planner’s role in drafting and maintaining a business succession plan?
- What are the common types of succession planning vehicles?
- Which employees should be included in a company’s succession plan?
- How to build a collaboration cross-disciplinary approach to help in the succession plan and its implementation.
- Why is the process important?
Freeborn & Peters
Ms. Coutré is an attorney in the Corporate Practice Group. She concentrates her practice in estate planning,... | Read More
Ms. Coutré is an attorney in the Corporate Practice Group. She concentrates her practice in estate planning, trust and estate administration and controversy, and related gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer tax issues for high and ultra-high net worth individuals, their families, and their businesses. Ms. Coutré advises clients on the structuring and implementation of advanced estate planning strategies, supplemental needs trusts for disabled loved ones, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, and charitable planning through the creation of private foundations, public charities, and charitable trusts. She works closely with clients to advise them regarding asset protection planning, business succession planning, and fiduciary income and estate and gift tax issues.Close
Michael de León Hawthorne
Mr. Hawthorne is a Member and Chair of the Washington D.C. Corporate Practice at Dickinson Wright. He is nationally... | Read More
Mr. Hawthorne is a Member and Chair of the Washington D.C. Corporate Practice at Dickinson Wright. He is nationally recognized in the areas of corporate law, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and securities law. Mr. Hawthorne has extensive experience working on securities matters and helps his clients comply with related laws and regulations. He assists public and private companies to successfully implement corporate structures that allow them to grow their business through capital formation, M&A, and joint venturing with potential business partners.Close
Michael D. Whitty
Freeborn & Peters
Mr. Whitty concentrates his practice in estate planning, taxation, and estate and trust administration. He is a... | Read More
Mr. Whitty concentrates his practice in estate planning, taxation, and estate and trust administration. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and serves on the American Bar Association Section Council. He recently served as Chair of the Wealth Planning and Nontax Issues Group of the Probate and Trust Division of the Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law.Close