Blockchain Applications in Real Estate Finance: Mortgage Origination, Securitization, and Servicing
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will familiarize real estate finance counsel with current and potential uses of blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) in commercial mortgage origination, securitization, custody, and servicing. The panel will also discuss the legal and regulatory hurdles companies may encounter in moving transactions onto a distributed ledger or blockchain.
- DLT and blockchain
- Legal and regulatory issues
The panel will review these and other critical issues:
- What is a distributed ledger, and how does it change the documentation of transactions and information?
- How can intelligent contract execution and enforcement be embedded in a distributed ledger or blockchain?
- What are the custody issues concerning DLT applications such as virtual currency, and how are these currencies custodied in a way that satisfies existing statutory law and regulation?
- How is an eMortgage and eNote custodied, what is the MERS Registry, and what are the legal issues which need to be addressed in new documentation?
- What are some of blockchain's current and proposed uses in mortgage-backed securities?
- What legal issues arise with blockchain that are not present with more conventional formats?
Jenny R. Forgey
Ms. Forgey is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Development & Investments Practice Group with a focus on... | Read More
Ms. Forgey is a member of the firm’s Real Estate Development & Investments Practice Group with a focus on creative governance design for complex master planned communities. She focuses her current practice on complex real estate transactions with an emphasis on real estate development of residential and commercial mixed-use communities. Ms. Forgey is also focused on the growing digital technology market including the Metaverse, NFTs, Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Smart Contracts, and the Blockchain and its evolution in the real estate industry. In addition to sophisticated development plans, she handles traditional commercial and residential acquisitions and sales and has experience with regulatory, corporate, and real property issues facing P3s, open government compliance, investor-owned water utilities, and internet service providers.Close
Gordon F. Peery
Mr. Peery is a leader in the firm in providing investment management counsel and is a leading authority worldwide in... | Read More
Mr. Peery is a leader in the firm in providing investment management counsel and is a leading authority worldwide in over-the-counter derivatives, futures and derivatives in securitizations.Close