Blockchain Applications in Commercial Finance: Loan Syndications, Servicing, Swaps, Trade Finance and More
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will familiarize finance counsel with the technology and some of the current and potential uses of blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) in commercial finance transactions. The panel will also discuss the legal and regulatory hurdles companies may encounter in moving transactions onto a distributed ledger or blockchain.
- Characteristics of DLT and blockchain
- Decentralized, peer-to-peer database
- No intermediary required
- Authenticated transactions
- Difference between blockchain and DLT
- Smart contracts and e-signatures
- Automated tracking and enforcement
- Potential applications: loan syndications, servicing, swaps, trade finance
- Legal risks and opportunities
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is a distributed ledger, and how does it change documentation of transactions and information?
- How can smart contract enforcement be embedded in a distributed ledger or blockchain?
- What are some of the current and proposed uses for blockchain in commercial finance transactions?
- What legal issues arise with blockchain that are not present with more traditional formats?
Jenny E. Cieplak
Latham & Watkins
Ms. Cieplak practice primarily involves mergers and acquisitions, complex joint ventures, consortiums and... | Read More
Ms. Cieplak practice primarily involves mergers and acquisitions, complex joint ventures, consortiums and strategic alliances, venture capital and private equity investments, and corporate finance. She is experienced in drafting a wide range of commercial agreements. Her practice focuses on the financial services industry, working on the creation, governance and sale of electronic trading platforms, exchanges, swap execution facilities, clearinghouses, and data repositories. She also advises clients on commodities law.Close
Steven T. Snyder
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings
Mr. Snyder is a member of Bradley’s Financial Services Litigation and Cybersecurity and Privacy teams. He... | Read More
Mr. Snyder is a member of Bradley’s Financial Services Litigation and Cybersecurity and Privacy teams. He leverages his industry experience as a network engineer and cyber risk manager to assist clients in navigating increasingly complex matters related to data protection arising from emerging technologies. Mr. Snyder is a thought leader in privacy and data security and routinely writes and speaks on cybersecurity topics.Close