Avoiding Safe Harbor 401(k) Plan Compliance Traps: Effective Administration, Contribution and Vesting Requirements
IRS Examinations and Annual Testing, Correcting Failed 401(k) Plan, Employee Notice Requirements, Drafting Safe Harbor Provisions
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance to ERISA counsel on the compliance challenges of safe harbor 401(k) plans. The panel will discuss key regulatory issues, compliance testing, notice requirements, effective safe harbor contribution provisions, and key planning methods to avoid compliance traps for plan sponsors.
- Traditional vs. safe harbor 401(k) plans
- IRS nondiscrimination testing requirements & consequences of failed testing
- Structuring effective safe harbor 401(k) plans
- Employee notice requirements; content and timing issues
- Additional testing considerations
- Best practices for effective administration for plan sponsors
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the IRS annual nondiscrimination test requirements for 401(k) plans?
- What methods are available to correct 401(k) plans that fail IRS tests?
- What are the key considerations and requirements in structuring safe harbor 401(k) plans?
- How to avoid content and timing pitfalls in employee notices?
- How can you ensure that a safe harbor 401(k) is exempt from other testing rules, including top-heavy testing under IRC Section 416?
Hill Ward Henderson
Mr. Hamlin is a Shareholder in the firm’s Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits Group. He practices... | Read More
Mr. Hamlin is a Shareholder in the firm’s Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits Group. He practices primarily in the areas of employee benefits, deferred compensation and trusts. Prior to entering the private practice of law, Mr. Hamlin provided plan design and consulting, third-party administration and investment, as well as retirement plan education services for clients.Close
J. Rose Zaklad
Groom Law Group
Ms. Zaklad advises clients on the design and administration of tax-qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. She... | Read More
Ms. Zaklad advises clients on the design and administration of tax-qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. She focuses on tax-qualified plan compliance issues, including IRS audits, rulings and corrections. Ms. Zaklad has extensive experience in assisting plan sponsors in navigating the plan termination process.Close