Auto Industry Class Actions: Pursuing, Defending or Settling Consumer Fraud and Warranty Breach Claims
Navigating Issues of Predominance, Standing and Causation; Obtaining Court Approval of Settlements; Minimizing Litigation Exposure
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will examine the latest trends in consumer class actions targeting the automotive industry and outline strategies for bringing, defending and settling claims. The panel will review court rulings in cases against auto manufacturers, suppliers and distributors involving a variety of allegations, including consumer fraud, breach of contract, breach of warranty, excessive fees, and more. The panel will also discuss tactics for obtaining court approval of settlements and proactive steps auto industry clients should take to minimize their exposure to class claims.
- Class actions against the auto industry—latest trends and case law developments, liability theories
- Consumer fraud
- Breach of contract
- Breach of warranty
- Excessive fees by distributors/dealers
- Litigation strategies—plaintiff and defense perspective
- Certification strategies
- Trial strategies
- Settlement strategies
- Proactive strategies for auto manufacturers, suppliers and distributors to mitigate the risk of class actions
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the latest trends and case law developments impacting auto industry class actions?
- What strategies and tactics are plaintiffs’ counsel frequently using when pursuing class actions against auto manufacturers, suppliers or distributors?
- What compliance steps can put auto industry clients in a good position to avoid becoming a target of a class action lawsuit, and to position themselves for a successful defense?
Mr. Stein represents consumers in complex litigation against Fortune 100 companies. He helped generate a $25... | Read More
Mr. Stein represents consumers in complex litigation against Fortune 100 companies. He helped generate a $25 million settlement in an automobile defect lawsuit involving Honda and Acura vehicles, and cash reimbursements for purchasers of Prius vehicles in a lawsuit against Toyota. Mr. Stein currently serves as court-appointed co-lead counsel in the In re Honda CR-V Vibration MDL proceedings and in the In re: Hyundai Sonata Engine Litigation, pending in the Northern District of California. Mr. Stein co-authors Consumer Law Watch, a blog that analyzes developments in the law of consumer class actions.Close
Mr. Walters is the Practice Leader of the firm’s Product Liability and Mass Tort Group. He and his national team... | Read More
Mr. Walters is the Practice Leader of the firm’s Product Liability and Mass Tort Group. He and his national team have a diverse trial and litigation practice focused on protecting product companies, and clients involved in technical matters, against a broad range of risks. As national counsel for several consumer product manufacturers, he has defended and coordinated product liability and consumer claims through trial in jurisdictions around the country. Mr. Walters has significant experience defending class certification proceedings, with a focus on consumer fraud and unfair trade practices.Close