Asserting and Challenging Plaintiff's Comparative or Contributory Negligence in Personal Injury Cases
Discovery Techniques, Apportionment of Fault, Expert Testimony and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide personal injury lawyers on how to overcome a plaintiff's comparative negligence and maximize recovery at trial. The webinar will cover how various jurisdictions handle comparative and contributory negligence and how attorneys can develop trial strategies to overcome their own clients' level of fault.
- Overview of comparative and contributory fault schemes
- Discussion of factors that impact juries' apportionment of fault
- Impact of accident reconstruction experts
- Best practices for personal injury attorneys to overcome plaintiff's level of fault
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- What are the contributory and comparative fault schemes in various states?
- How is fault determined and apportioned at trial?
- What steps should attorneys take at the outset of a case to determine their client's level of fault?
- What trial tactics can attorneys use to keep their client's level of fault below 50 percent?
Gregory J. Brod
Mr. Brod has been a trial lawyer for over 20 years, focusing on representing plaintiffs in personal injury, wrongful... | Read More
Mr. Brod has been a trial lawyer for over 20 years, focusing on representing plaintiffs in personal injury, wrongful death, legal malpractice and landlord tenant matters. He litigates cases in state and federal courts in California and surrounding states.Close
Glenn M. Campbell
Post & Schell
Mr. Campbell has practiced in the areas of personal injury and property damage defense for 30 years, both in private... | Read More
Mr. Campbell has practiced in the areas of personal injury and property damage defense for 30 years, both in private practice and as staff counsel for Travelers Insurance Company. He predominantly handles construction injury and defect cases, products liability cases, and workplace accident litigation. He has considerable experience working with experts in trial preparation, trial examination and cross-examination.Close
Matthew J. Focht
Joseph Greenwald & Laake
Mr. Focht is a trial lawyer in the firm’s Personal Injury Practice Group. He helps individuals who have been... | Read More
Mr. Focht is a trial lawyer in the firm’s Personal Injury Practice Group. He helps individuals who have been seriously injured in avoidable accidents recover the compensation they deserve in litigation before state and federal courts. He has deep experience in managing a broad range of high-stakes personal injury matters on behalf of victims and surviving family members, including auto accidents, wrongful death cases, and a variety of other serious accidents caused by negligence.Close