Appeals Before a Final Judgment: Substantive and Procedural Strategies for Appealing “Final” Decisions
Framing the Issue, Statutory Rights, Common Law Doctrines, Collateral Orders, Discretionary Review, Writs of Mandamus
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE will discuss advanced substantive and procedural strategies for filing successful interlocutory appeals in federal courts.
- Statutes and rules
- The collateral order doctrine (and other common law doctrines establishing finality)
- Best practices and practical considerations
- Recent trends and cases
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are innovative strategies for framing issues on appeal?
- When do appeals of interlocutory orders feature a controlling question of law where there is substantial ground for a difference of opinion?
- What statutory grounds provide for immediately appealing interlocutory orders?
- How does one appeal the denial of a dispositive motion?
- What are best practices for timing an interlocutory appeal?
- What common law doctrines establishing "finality" can be exploited for successful appeals?
- What are the differences in how various circuits treat permissive and discretionary interlocutory appeals?
- How can mandamus petitions be used to secure relief from orders that are not final?
Bruce A. Khula
Squire Patton Boggs
Mr. Khula focuses his practice on appellate and complex litigation in state and federal courts, including consumer... | Read More
Mr. Khula focuses his practice on appellate and complex litigation in state and federal courts, including consumer class actions, contract disputes, business torts, property matters and product liability. Prior to joining the firm in 2006, he was an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Ohio. Mr. Khula has published and/or presented on the topics of class actions, corporate compliance in a U.S. and global context, constitutional law, antitrust enforcement, and the history of U.S. foreign policy.Close
Scottie F. Lee
Ellis & Winters
Ms. Lee focuses her practice on complex litigation, antitrust, and appeals. She is a frequent presenter and author on a... | Read More
Ms. Lee focuses her practice on complex litigation, antitrust, and appeals. She is a frequent presenter and author on a variety of legal topics, including co-editor, Guide to Appealability of Interlocutory Orders, Appellate Rules Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association.Close
Mr. Subbaraman is dedicated to providing clients from all walks of life with effective appellate representation. In... | Read More
Mr. Subbaraman is dedicated to providing clients from all walks of life with effective appellate representation. In this regard, he has litigated cutting-edge legal issues in the areas of constitutional law, civil forfeiture law, business law, and immigration law. Mr. Subbaraman also provides pro bono appellate services to nonprofit organizations and individuals who otherwise cannot afford appellate counsel.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $200
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $19.45 S&H