An Attorney’s Guide to Internet Defamation and Website Removal
Recent Case Law, Libel and Slander vs. Defamatory Conduct, Cease and Desist Demands, Anti-SLAPP Laws
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide corporate counsel with an overview of what constitutes online defamation and explore the complex web of laws governing defamatory statements, including the First Amendment, the Communications Decency Act (CDA), the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), recent case law, and more. The panelist will discuss the difference between libel and slander and considerations for determining if and when to file suit for defamatory conduct, best practices when sending cease and desist letters, and when and how anti-SLAPP laws apply.
- History of internet reviews
- Libel vs. slander
- First Amendment
- Communications Decency Act
- Section 230
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Cubby Inc. vs. CompuServe Inc.
- Stratton Oakmont vs. Prodigy Services Index
- Parker vs. Google
- Viacom vs. YouTube, Google Inc.
- Litigation strategies
- Determining culprit
- Determining goal
- Examining costs
The panel will review these and other relevant issues:
- How has the surge in online reviews impacted companies, and what can counsel do regarding false or misleading reviews?
- What is defamation? How does that differ from slander or libel?
- What conflicts exist between claims of free speech/First Amendment rights and defamation?
- How does the CDA Section 230 limit website provider liability, and what can businesses do?
- What has current case law said regarding potential defamation claims online?
- What should businesses consider when developing litigation strategies related to online defamation claims?
Mr. Sternberg has been in the internet defamation field for over 20 years. He has worked with numerous clients helping... | Read More
Mr. Sternberg has been in the internet defamation field for over 20 years. He has worked with numerous clients helping them improve their online reputation through various means of removal and suppression techniques.Close