Airbnb, VRBO, Short-Term Rentals: Recent Developments, Enforcement Hurdles, and Mitigating Risks
Legal, Regulatory, Insurance, Land Use, and Other Unique Challenges
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine recent developments and challenging legal and regulatory issues relating to Airbnbs, VRBOs, and other short-term rentals (STRs). Enforcement efforts vary from almost complete blind recognition to cities essentially banning short-term lease agreements. The discussion will highlight key issues for real estate counsel to consider when advising clients in this area, including differing state and local concerns, zoning, taxes, licenses and permits, cannabis use, insurance, use of surveillance cameras, and other liability considerations.
- Short-term rental legal, regulatory, and case law overview
- Defining type of structure
- Defining length of stay
- Licenses, taxes, zoning, CC&Rs, and other enforcement
- Navigating insurance coverage and exclusions
- Custom short-term rental agreements
- Cannabis, surveillance cameras, and other liability risks
- Best practices
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- What are the critical legal and regulatory compliance and enforcement trends with short-term leases?
- What considerations must be made concerning insurance coverages and exclusions?
- What steps should counsel take to mitigate risks for their clients when purchasing, leasing, or investing in STRs?
Christopher J. Charles
Mr. Charles has developed a niche practice helping property owners resolve real estate related disputes. Anywhere... | Read More
Mr. Charles has developed a niche practice helping property owners resolve real estate related disputes. Anywhere from breach of contract, deficiency judgments, evictions, easement disputes, to fraud, he has the experience and expertise to get clients results. Mr. Charles is a licensed real estate instructor and teaches continuing education classes to attorneys and REALTORS®, including short term rental issues.Close
Ronald (Ron) Garfield
Garfield & Hecht
Mr. Garfield has represented landlords and tenants alike in negotiating retail, office and residential leases. He has... | Read More
Mr. Garfield has represented landlords and tenants alike in negotiating retail, office and residential leases. He has authored covenants and declarations for all kinds of developments from duplexes to PUD’s including high-end subdivisions. Mr. Garfield has represented banks and private lenders in their lending activities as well as the restructure of non-performing loans and where needed collection activity including foreclosures and UCC sales. He has represented purchasers and sellers of all manner of real estate including fractional, single family, duplexes, commercial properties, farm and ranch lands and parcels earmarked for development.Close