After-Final Practice: Navigating PTO Options to Compact Patent Prosecution
Utilizing After-Final Consideration Pilot 2.0, Pre-Appeal Conference and More
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide patent counsel on the various USPTO options for responding after the final rejection of a patent application. The panel will review the basics of each option and focus on strategic considerations and using different options. The panel will also update participants on the ongoing pilot program, review statistics, and discuss their experiences.
- The value proposition of various after-final options
- Options if do not wish to amend – Request for Reconsideration, Pre-appeal, Appeal
- Options that allow amendment – Amendment after Final, AFCP, RCE
- The pilot programs and how effective they are
- Fast-Track Appeals Pilot Program
- After Final Consideration Pilot 2.0 (AFCP 2.0)
- Best practices
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What options are available to patent counsel upon receiving a final rejection to a patent application?
- What should patent counsel consider when determining if--and which--PTO option to use in response to a final rejection?
- How can patent counsel and applicants leverage the PTO options for compact patent prosecution?
Sterling D. Fillmore
Mr. Fillmore counsels clients in all aspects of intellectual property. He works with companies of all sizes, ranging... | Read More
Mr. Fillmore counsels clients in all aspects of intellectual property. He works with companies of all sizes, ranging from global multinational corporations to small startups and single inventors. Mr. Fillmore also serves universities, both in and outside of Utah, in procuring patents in both the U.S. and abroad. He has extensive experience in all matters of patent prosecution, including the preparation and filing of patent applications in the U.S. and abroad, conducting examiner interviews and post-examination proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.Close
Mandy J. Song, Ph.D.
Founding and Managing Partner
Dr. Song, Ph.D. brings more than a decade’s experience in patent practice, including patent prosecution, client... | Read More
Dr. Song, Ph.D. brings more than a decade’s experience in patent practice, including patent prosecution, client counseling, patent portfolio management & transactions, patent litigation in U.S. federal district courts and Section 337 investigations at the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). She has significant experience in a wide range of electrical, computer, and biomedical technologies.Close