Sports-Related Class Actions: Navigating the Minefield of Class Certification and Federal Labor Laws
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss the recent trend of sports-related class action cases, including class certification issues, judicial trends, and federal labor laws.
- Impact of federal labor law on sports-related class actions
- Recent class certification decisions in sports-related class actions
- Various goals of litigation
- Forcing rule changes
- Funding for research on concussions and brain injuries
- Compensation to injured players
- Best practices for class counsel in representing clients through all stages of litigation
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- How have courts recently addressed the intersection between federal labor laws and sports-related class actions?
- What are the typical class certification issues associated with sports-related class actions and how have courts recently addressed those issues?
- How do judges view and encourage settlement of these claims?
- What are the unique hurdles for counsel to overcome when litigating sports-related class action claims?
Stuart A. Davidson
Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd
Mr. Davidson’s practice focuses on complex consumer class actions, including cases involving deceptive and unfair... | Read More
Mr. Davidson’s practice focuses on complex consumer class actions, including cases involving deceptive and unfair trade practices, privacy and data breach issues, and antitrust violations. He served as class counsel in In re Facebook Biometric Information Privacy Litigation, No. 3:15-cv-03747-JD (N.D. Cal.). Stuart has been named a Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, a Leading Lawyer in America, a Leading Litigator in America, a Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer, and a Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer by Lawdragon, one of “Florida’s Most Effective Lawyers” by American Law Media’s Daily Business Review, and a member of The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100-Civil Plaintiffs. He is a member of the Sedona Conference Working Group 11 Brainstorming Group, focusing on the California Consumer Protection Act. Stuart currently serves on the 2023 Consumer Protection Editorial Advisory Board for Law360.Close
Will F. Stute
Mr. Stute has significant first-chair trial experience in state and federal courts around the country and in a variety... | Read More
Mr. Stute has significant first-chair trial experience in state and federal courts around the country and in a variety of arbitration forums. His practice focuses on complex civil and corporate litigation, multidistrict litigation, SEC regulatory work, internal corporate investigations, FCPA and other investigations, white-collar defense and class action litigation. Mr. Stute is called on by clients to help them tackle their most challenging and complex disputes, frequently in the sports and financial services industries, among others. He currently serves as national trial counsel for the NCAA in the concussion litigation.Close