Divorce and Trusts: Dissolving or Amending Existing Trusts and Using New Trusts in Divorce Planning
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss what family lawyers need to know to evaluate existing trusts that their client or a divorcing couple have. The panel will explain how to identify changes that should be made to trusts due to dissolution of the marriage and how family lawyers can use or create trusts to address assets and money payments.
- Overview of trust law for family counsel
- Dealing with existing trusts
- Issues that impact property division settlement
- Revocable vs. irrevocable trusts
- Commonly overlooked pitfalls
- Creating trusts during divorce proceedings
- Support trusts
- New trusts for estate planning purposes
- Trusts for children and heirs
- Qualified domestic trusts
- Other trusts
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are some of the common pitfalls that trusts present post-divorce?
- When may a support trust be preferable to periodic alimony payments?
- What common trust vehicles may need to be created for estate planning purposes after the dissolution of the marriage?
Jeremiah W. (Jere) Doyle, IV
Senior Vice President
Bank of New York Mellon
Mr. Doyle provides clients with integrated wealth management advice on how to hold, manage and transfer their... | Read More
Mr. Doyle provides clients with integrated wealth management advice on how to hold, manage and transfer their wealth in a tax efficient manner. He is the editor and co-author of Preparing Fiduciary Income Tax Returns, a contributing author of Preparing Estate Tax Returns and Understanding and Using Trusts and a contributing author of Drafting Irrevocable Trusts in Massachusetts. He is a lecturer in law in the Graduate Tax Program at Boston University School of Law.Close
Jillian A. Wood
Stange Law Firm
Ms. Wood has extensive experience in family law matters, including, divorce, child custody, child support,... | Read More
Ms. Wood has extensive experience in family law matters, including, divorce, child custody, child support, guardianship, adoption, paternity, and other domestic relation matters including mediation. She has been selected by Super Lawyers magazine as a Rising Star in Illinois since 2015 and in Missouri/Kansas since 2018. She is licensed to practice law in the States of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma.Close