URS, UDRP, ACPA and Beyond: Domain Name Enforcement in the New gTLD Era
Strategies for Brand Protection, Leveraging Recent Decisions, Weighing the Pros and Cons
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to trademark counsel on the advantages and disadvantages of the Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) system, the Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy (UDRP) and the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA). The panel will examine the considerations in determining which action should be pursued under different scenarios when challenging infringing domain names and offer strategies to navigate the systems.
- URS vs. UDRP vs. ACPA
- Pros and cons of using them
- When it makes sense to use each
- Recent court decisions/proceedings
- Strategies for navigating the dispute resolution mechanisms and potential court action
The panel will review these and other crucial issues:
- How has the domain name space evolved since the launch of the new gTLD program, and how do these changes affect overall enforcement concerns?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the URS? The UDRP? The ACPA?
- What factors should counsel consider when determining how to address an infringing domain name?
- What strategies should counsel employ to successfully navigate the URS, UDRP, ACPA and other rights protection mechanisms or forums?
Debra L. Innocenti
Ms. Innocenti maintains a diverse transactional and litigation practice for emerging companies in the technology... | Read More
Ms. Innocenti maintains a diverse transactional and litigation practice for emerging companies in the technology and internet-related industries, and she uses her tech acumen to assist non-tech clients in navigating the complex, new-world legal issues presented by emerging technologies. Prior to her legal career, Ms. Innocenti was a professor at St. Mary’s University.Close
Jonathan S. Jennings
Pattishall McAuliffe Newbury Hilliard & Geraldson
Mr. Jennings protects brands, copyrighted works and domain names throughout the world. As part of his practice, he... | Read More
Mr. Jennings protects brands, copyrighted works and domain names throughout the world. As part of his practice, he represents plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of disputes involving trademark, copyright, trade secret, right of publicity, breach of contract, unfair competition and false advertising claims. Mr. Jennings teaches a course on right of publicity and privacy law at the John Marshall Law School.Close