UBTI and UBIT in IRAs and Qualified Plans: Identifying Unrelated Business Taxable Income and Avoiding UBTI Tax Traps
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will give nonprofit tax professionals and advisers a thorough guide to recognizing and reporting unrelated business taxable income (UBTI) as it pertains to IRAs, qualified plans and other retirement accounts. The webinar will focus on the standards and guidelines for determining whether income derived from assets held by a qualified plan is UBTI and thus subject to tax, and will provide a detailed exploration into calculating UBTI and reporting the resulting unrelated business income tax.
- UBTI generating assets in IRAs and other qualified plans
- Self-directed IRA reporting
- IRA trusts and other vehicles holding UBTI assets
- Identifying and calculating UBTI
- Filing Form 990T
The panel will discuss these and other important topics:
- What assets and structures will generate UBTI?
- How do MLPs held by an IRA impact UBTI reporting and payment requirements?
- What are the estimated payment rules for qualified plans with unrelated business income tax liabilities?
- Unrelated debt-financed income (UDFI) rules and treatment of qualified plan assets financed by debt
- What factors should account holders be especially aware of in cases where the plan holds UBTI-generating assets?
Co-founder and CEO
New Direction IRA
Mr. Humphrey is recognized in the industry as an expert in self directed IRAs, HSAs and other tax-advantaged accounts,... | Read More
Mr. Humphrey is recognized in the industry as an expert in self directed IRAs, HSAs and other tax-advantaged accounts, as well as the IRS codes pertaining to these investments. He has taught courses on retirement plan investment rules to investors, CPAs and investment professionals through a variety of venues including the University of Denver School of Law. An experienced CPA, he has focused on income tax, auditing, tax-related real estate issues and forensic accounting for more than 20 years. His tax experience has been instrumental in understanding and teaching about IRAs and debt leverage. He is well versed in IRA law and current with all legislation governing tax advantaged plans.Close
Mr. Tannenbaum advises not-for-profit clients in a range of sub-sectors, specializing in delivering insightful,... | Read More
Mr. Tannenbaum advises not-for-profit clients in a range of sub-sectors, specializing in delivering insightful, comprehensive tax services. He is particularly adept with Forms 990, 990-PF, 990-T, 926, 8865, 5500 and any relevant state forms, including Form CHAR500 and CT-13, to clients including many Fortune 100 companies and large pension trusts. He has significant experience assisting clients with implementation of the requirements of various new legislation and regulations such as the New York State Not for Profit Revitalization Act and the 2014 IRS Final Tangible Property Regulations. He sits on the NY Society of CPAs Not-for-Profit Organizations, and Exempt Organizations Committees.Close