Trusts and Divorce: Discovering Hidden Trusts, Reaching Trust Assets, Protecting Beneficiary's Interest
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare family law practitioners with best practices to represent divorcing parties who have an interest in or seek to claim an interest in a spouse's trust. The panel will review drafting methods to mitigate attacks on trust assets, explain how to attack a trust, discuss available remedies, and outline critical evidentiary issues in establishing a party's interest in the trust as a marital asset.
- Types of trusts
- Drafting trusts to reduce attacks on trust assets
- Discovering trust assets
- Classifying the trust interest as marital property
- Ways to reach trust assets or protect the beneficiary's assets
- Joining the trust or trustee as a party
- Key evidentiary issues
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are best practices for drafting trusts to protect trust assets in the event of divorce?
- What can counsel do to discover the type of interest a party has in a trust?
- What are the methods available to reach a party's interest in the trust and to defend against an attempted attack on the trust?
- What are the critical evidentiary issues in successfully attacking a trust or defending the trust from attack?
Jeff Vandrew, Jr., CPA, CFP
Mr. Vandrew's practice focuses on asset protection planning, wills, trusts, and estate planning. His background as... | Read More
Mr. Vandrew's practice focuses on asset protection planning, wills, trusts, and estate planning. His background as a CPA and attorney provides his clients with expertise on both the legal aspects and tax aspects of estate planning. He is a member of the American Association of Attorney-CPAs and the ABA Asset Protection Planning Committee. He authors articles on estate planning and asset protection.Close
Jillian A. Wood
Stange Law Firm
Ms. Wood has extensive experience in family law matters, including, divorce, child custody, child support,... | Read More
Ms. Wood has extensive experience in family law matters, including, divorce, child custody, child support, guardianship, adoption, paternity, and other domestic relation matters including mediation. She has been selected by Super Lawyers magazine as a Rising Star in Illinois since 2015 and in Missouri/Kansas since 2018. She is licensed to practice law in the States of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Oklahoma.Close