Trust Administration: Challenges and Best Practices
Managing Fiduciary Powers and Duties; Controlling, Protecting and Distributing Trust Assets; Disbursing Fees and Expenses
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare trust and estate practitioners to overcome common challenges in trust administration. The panel will identify best practices for managing trustee duties and powers, and drill down into controlling, protecting, dividing and distributing trust assets and disbursing fees and expenses.
- Trustee’s Duties and Powers
- Sources of Authority — using the Trust Instrument, Legislation and the Restatement in Concert
- Duties of Care, Loyalty, Impartiality and Disclosure
- Allocating Principal and Income — Investing Prudently
- Delegating Authority and Working with Co-Trustees
- Control and Protection of Assets
- Assessing and Inventorying the Trust Estate
- Disclosure and Notice Requirements
- Dealing with Beneficiaries
- Division and Distribution of Assets
- Modification and Termination of Trusts
- Disbursement of Fees and Expenses
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What issues should the trustee take into consideration when making distributions and disbursements?
- What common pitfalls should be avoided in trust administration?
- What best practice strategies should trustees consider in exercising their powers?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Mary A. Akkerman
Lindquist & Vennum
She practices in the areas of estate planning, wills and trusts, estate and trust litigation, guardianship and... | Read More
She practices in the areas of estate planning, wills and trusts, estate and trust litigation, guardianship and conservatorship litigation, tax litigation, and probate. She serves on the S.D. State Bar Law School Committee and the Trust Committee of the Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section. She is also a member of the Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council and USD Planned Giving Council.Close
Dawn D. Hallman
Hallman & Associates
She limits her practice to wealth transfer planning and estate planning, including trusts, trust administration, tax... | Read More
She limits her practice to wealth transfer planning and estate planning, including trusts, trust administration, tax planning and probate. She is a lecturer on topics of estate planning and asset protection in continuing education programs. She is a recipient of the Five Star Program Award recognizing her as one of the top estate planners in Oklahoma.Close
J. Brian Thomas
Burdette & Rice
Mr. Thomas focuses his practice on probate, estate administration, guardianship and estate planning matters,... | Read More
Mr. Thomas focuses his practice on probate, estate administration, guardianship and estate planning matters, assisting clients with uncontested probate issues, and contested and litigated estate administrations and guardianships. He regularly speaks on matters of probate, administration of estates, guardianship and estate planning to a wide variety of professional groups.Close