The New Michigan Business Tax: Conquering the Most Complex Challenges
Anticipating and Resolving High-Level MBT Compliance Issues
***Advanced level CPE and CLE seminar***
Recording of a 100-minute CPE/CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will offer a high-level review of the most complex compliance challenges presented by the Michigan Business Tax system.
- Understanding Recently Released Michigan Business Tax Forms
- Navigating ins and outs of the new forms and instructions
- Compatibility issues with the major tax software platforms
- Highlight of key complexities and difficulties with specific forms and line items
- Tips and best practices for completion
- Nexus Issues Associated With The MBT
- Revenue Administrative Bulletin 2008-4
- Dual nexus standard
- P.L. 86-272 protections
- Expansion physical presence standard
- The Modified Gross Receipts Tax Base
- What is included?
- What is excluded?
- What can be deducted?
- Determining what to include in the “purchases from other firms” category
- The Ownership Test For Unitary Groups
- Differences between a unitary group and an SBT controlled group
- Comparison with a federal affiliated group
- 50% ownership interest threshold
- Interpreting the “flow of value” concept
The panel will give you guidance to deal with these and other critical topics:
- Unraveling the complex new ownership test for unitary groups, particularly for domestic companies.
- Understanding what is included in, or excluded or deducted from, the modified gross receipts tax base.
- Uncovering what counts in purchases from other firms, and what doesn't.
- Understanding the most problematic parts of the recently released new MBT forms.
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Partner Multi-State Tax Consulting
He specializes in state income and franchise tax services. His background includes both federal and state tax... | Read More
He specializes in state income and franchise tax services. His background includes both federal and state tax consulting and compliance.Close
State and Local Tax Principal
The Rehmann Group
She has over 15 years of state and local tax advisory experience. She has worked with clients in numerous industries,... | Read More
She has over 15 years of state and local tax advisory experience. She has worked with clients in numerous industries, including retail, consumer products, manufacturing and professional services.Close
He leads the firm's taxation practice group. He has over 33 years in state tax planning and controversy, as an attorney... | Read More
He leads the firm's taxation practice group. He has over 33 years in state tax planning and controversy, as an attorney and CPA. He is a contributing editor for The Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives.Close
He leads the firm's state and local tax consulting practice in Michigan. He served as a technical advisor to the House... | Read More
He leads the firm's state and local tax consulting practice in Michigan. He served as a technical advisor to the House Taxation Committee during the drafting of the Michigan Business Tax.Close
Other Formats— Anytime, Anywhere
On-Demand Seminar Audio