TCPA Class Actions: Pursuing or Defending Claims Over Phone, Text and Fax Solicitations
Leveraging the Latest Developments in Federal Jurisdiction, Statutory Damages Limitations, Superiority, Consent and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to class action and in-house counsel on complying with the amended Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and defending lawsuits under the Act. The panel will examine the latest class action trends and settlements under the TCPA and explain how courts are addressing questions of federal jurisdiction, limitations on statutory damages, class certification, and other issues in lawsuits involving phone, fax and text solicitations.
- Most common types of TCPA class actions
- Potential damages for TCPA violations
- Federal jurisdiction following Mims v. Arrow Financial and Spokeo v Robbins
- Filing in state or federal court
- State laws limiting class actions
- Statute of limitations defenses
- Recent TCPA issues before courts
- Are TCPA claims suitable for class actions?
- Automated dialing technology
- Text messaging and TCPA claims
- Third-party liability
- Company liability for calls made by third parties
- Lawsuits “on behalf of” an entity
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What measures should counsel recommend client companies adopt to ensure compliance with the amended TCPA rules?
- How should counsel manage the ambiguities of the rules with respect to automated dialing systems?
- How is the vicarious liability theory being leveraged to assign liability under the TCPA to companies for calls, texts or faxes sent by third parties?
Paul G. Karlsgodt
Mr. Karlsgodt has a diverse complex commercial litigation practice that emphasizes class action defense. He is editor... | Read More
Mr. Karlsgodt has a diverse complex commercial litigation practice that emphasizes class action defense. He is editor and contributor to www.ClassActionBlawg.com, which covers a variety of class-action issues. He has represented major insurers and other FORTUNE 500 companies in nationwide and statewide consumer class action lawsuits and related litigation across the United States.Close
Keith J. Keogh
Mr. Keogh has represented class members before the Seventh Circuit and the First District of Illinois for over a... | Read More
Mr. Keogh has represented class members before the Seventh Circuit and the First District of Illinois for over a decade, and has been named a SuperLawyers Rising Star from 2008 through 2012. He is also a frequent speaker on TCPA and other legal topics.Close
John G. Watts
Watts & Herring
Mr. Watts has represented consumers in individual class action cases in state and federal courts and has litigated TCPA... | Read More
Mr. Watts has represented consumers in individual class action cases in state and federal courts and has litigated TCPA claims for several years. He has experience in matters involving class actions, consumer protection, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, wage and hour laws, and other areas. He is a frequent speaker on legal topics including the TCPA.Close