Tax Strategies for Real Estate LLC and LP Agreements: Capital Commitments, Tax Allocations, Distributions, and More
A live 90-minute premium CLE/CPE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will prepare real estate counsel to deal with crucial tax issues and avoid costly mistakes in structuring agreements for real estate partnerships and LLCs. The panel will offer best practices for drafting provisions that reflect effective tax compliance.
- Capital contributions, tax distributions, and withholding
- Liquidation alternatives for LLCs and LPs: tax elections under Sections 704 and 754
- Tax audits
- Capital account basics: Section 704(b)
- Tax allocations; built-in gain, additional capital contributions, and dilution provisions--Section 704(b) and (c)
- Liabilities: Section 752; Reg. 1.752-3(a)
- Allocations of profits and losses; treatment of depreciation--Section 704(c); Reg. 1.704-3
- Tax boilerplate: areas of negotiation
- Target vs. layer cake allocation
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the unique tax issues inherent in real estate LLCs and LPs?
- What are the common tax pitfalls in drafting real estate LLC and LP agreements?
- What are best practices for avoiding these drafting mistakes?
Matthew E. Rappaport, Esq., LL.M.
Vice Managing Partner
Falcon Rappaport & Berkman
Mr. Rappaport counsels clients on technical and complex tax issues. He works closely with closely held business owners,... | Read More
Mr. Rappaport counsels clients on technical and complex tax issues. He works closely with closely held business owners, real estate investors/developers, and high net worth families. He advises clients on a wide array of issues including, generational wealth transfer, family business succession, tax structuring of mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations of business entities, windfall planning for major liquidity events, tax provisions of operating agreements, 1031 Exchanges, conversion of investment real estate, and audits hinging on the outcome of a highly technical issue.Close
Greenberg Glusker Fields Claman & Machtinger
Mr. Wiener is an expert in structuring all types of tax-deferred Section 1031 exchange transactions, including forward... | Read More
Mr. Wiener is an expert in structuring all types of tax-deferred Section 1031 exchange transactions, including forward exchanges, reverse exchanges, and build-to-suit exchanges. He has extensive experience structuring real estate dispositions by partnerships and limited liability companies where either the partners or members want to exchange separately or only some partners or members want to exchange while others want to sell for cash. Mr. Wiener also has deep expertise structuring real estate acquisitions where multiple purchasers are completing exchanges or where fresh cash is being invested alongside exchange proceeds. He has substantial experience structuring joint ventures and both negotiating and drafting complex distribution and tax allocation provisions in partnership agreements and limited liability company operating agreements. Mr. Wiener also has experience drafting the non-tax portions of joint venture agreements, such as management provisions and transfer restrictions.Close
Early Discount (through 06/16/23)
Cannot Attend July 11?
Early Discount (through 06/16/23)
You may pre-order a recording to listen at your convenience. Recordings are available 48 hours after the webinar. CPE credit is not available on recordings. Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.