Tax Reform: Impact on REITs, Real Estate Businesses and Investors
Pass-Through Business and Interest Deductions, Cost Recovery, Carried Interest, Sale of Partnership Interests, and More
A live 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide real estate counsel with a working knowledge of the new tax reform law as it relates to REITs and other real estate investment structures. The panel discussion will include the impact of tax reform on pass-through deductions, cost recovery, carried interest, existing tax credit programs and more.
- Background—timing of tax law changes
- Overview—what has changed and what remains the same
- REIT dividends
- Pass-through business deduction
- Business interest deduction; applicability to real estate businesses
- Like-kind exchanges; potential implications of elimination for all asset classes other than real estate
- Carried interest; holding period requirements
- Sales of partnership interests by foreign partners
- State and local tax deduction
- Cost recovery for real estate businesses
- Section 179 expensing
- Historic preservation and rehabilitation tax credits
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What impact should tax reform be expected to have on the commercial real estate industry?
- What impact could the new pass-through business deduction and the reduction in corporate income tax rate on entity choice in real estate businesses?
- How might the new cost recovery and §179 affect property improvements and expenditures?
- Will the new rules on carried interest have any impact on investment structuring?
Steven R. Meier
Mr. Meier's diverse tax practice involves all aspects of federal taxation. He regularly advises clients on the... | Read More
Mr. Meier's diverse tax practice involves all aspects of federal taxation. He regularly advises clients on the design, implementation, disposition and workout of real estate investment programs, including real estate investment funds and complex like-kind exchange programs. He acts as lead tax counsel in domestic and cross-border transactions, and advises early-stage businesses on tax, equity compensation and related matters.Close
John P. Napoli
Mr. Napoli is co-managing partner of the firm’s New York office. He practices in the areas of federal, state and... | Read More
Mr. Napoli is co-managing partner of the firm’s New York office. He practices in the areas of federal, state and local taxation and co-chairs the firm’s national Tax practice group. He represents both public and private clients and regularly advises clients on tax issues relating to corporate mergers and acquisitions, international transactions, restructurings, consolidations, financing, real estate (including REITs), tax free like kind 1031 exchanges, subchapter S corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, and limited liability companies. He has been instrumental in structuring numerous tax-efficient real estate transactions, including the formation, operation and liquidation of REITs and UPREITs.Close
Buy Live Webinar
See NASBA details.
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $200
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $9.45 S&H