Tax Issues in Transferring LLC and Partnership Interests
Navigating the Complex IRS Rules for Buying, Selling, or Redeeming Partnership Interests
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE/CPE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will provide tax counsel and advisers with an overview of the tax rules that apply to the sale or transfer of an LLC or partnership interest. The panel will discuss common pitfalls and uncertainties in the tax code and outline best practices to structure transactions.
- Tax rules related to sales or transfers of LLCs or partnership interests
- Common issues and uncertainty related to the tax code
- Best practices
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the tax differences in choosing between a sale or redemption of a departing partner's interest?
- Will a sale or redemption of other partners create a taxable event for the remaining owners?
- How is the character of gain or loss determined upon a transfer?
- What are the holding period and basis rules for transfers of partial interests?
- What is the impact of the net investment income tax?
Joseph C. Mandarino
Smith Gambrell & Russell
Mr. Mandarino's practice focuses on corporate, tax and finance law. He is involved with a wide variety of... | Read More
Mr. Mandarino's practice focuses on corporate, tax and finance law. He is involved with a wide variety of businesses and transactions, including experience with compliance, planning and M&A activities for partnerships, individuals and corporations. Mr. Mandarino writes and speaks extensively on a wide range of business, tax and finance topics.Close
Ms. Wilson concentrates her practice on federal tax planning and structuring and represents clients in a wide variety... | Read More
Ms. Wilson concentrates her practice on federal tax planning and structuring and represents clients in a wide variety of complex federal tax matters, with a particular emphasis on pass-through entities such as partnerships, S corporations and real estate investment trusts. Specifically, she focuses on advising clients on the formation, operation, acquisition and restructuring of pass-through entities.Close