Summary Judgment in Bad Faith Cases: Strategies and Countermeasures, Current Case Law
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide critical insight to counsel for insurers facing tag-along bad faith claims on how to position a case for summary judgment. Our panel will discuss key factors to consider during the claims investigation and discovery phases of litigation along with evidentiary proffers to support summary disposition of bad faith allegations notwithstanding unresolved factual issues.
- Overview of bad faith claims
- Essential elements
- Burden of proof
- Common defense strategies
- Summary judgment
- Current case law
- Burden of proof
- Jurisdictional considerations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How can insurers leverage their clear right to contest coverage in support of summary disposition of bad faith claims?
- How can counsel use admissions and information submitted in support of a claim to bolster arguments supporting summary judgment?
- What kinds of evidentiary deficiencies identified during discovery can help strengthen counsel’s argument for summary judgment?
William T. Barker
Mr. Barker focuses his practice in the area of complex commercial insurance litigation, including coverage, claim... | Read More
Mr. Barker focuses his practice in the area of complex commercial insurance litigation, including coverage, claim practices, sales practices, risk classification and selection, agent relationships, and regulatory matters. In addition to handling complex litigation, he counsels clients on insurance issues. He also advises and litigates on matters of lawyers' professional responsibility.Close
Sandberg Phoenix & von Gontard
Focusing his legal practice on insurance coverage and bad faith matters, Mr. Goleaner is experienced in all aspects of... | Read More
Focusing his legal practice on insurance coverage and bad faith matters, Mr. Goleaner is experienced in all aspects of litigation, from discovery, depositions and expert witness preparation to complex contract interpretation and drafting, appellate work in defense of insurance companies, and arguments before the Missouri Supreme Court.Close