New Section 199A: Structuring Real Estate Transactions to Take Advantage of the Qualified Business Income Deduction
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will provide counsel with tools to structure real estate transactions to take full advantage of the new qualified business income (QBI) deduction under IRC §199A. The panel will discuss the requirements and limitations of §199A, recent IRS regulations for §199A, and planning techniques to maximize tax savings for pass-through entities.
- Requirements of §199A and accompanying regulations
- Non-corporate entities that benefit from §199A: pass-through entities, REITs
- Defining QBI: rental and other business income
- Claiming the §199A deduction on individual returns
- Limitations on certain types of businesses or services
- Tax planning considerations
The panel will review these and other relevant issues:
- What are the potential tax benefits of §199A?
- What are the entity requirements of claiming the deduction?
- What is QBI and how is it calculated?
- When can rental income be treated as QBI?
- What are some tax pitfalls to consider when reforming an entity to take advantage of §199A?
Mr. Capdevielle has been developing sophisticated tax planning strategies and resolving tax disputes for clients more... | Read More
Mr. Capdevielle has been developing sophisticated tax planning strategies and resolving tax disputes for clients more than two decades. As lawyer, accountant, longtime instructor and adjunct professor, Mr. Capdevielle formulates strategies to utilize the ever-changing array of federal and state tax laws – and relevant treaties – to clients’ benefit. This includes comprehensive counsel to businesses adapting to sweeping tax law changes enacted in 2017, and ongoing work with business owners and other individual taxpayers seeking to preserve assets through trust and estate planning.Close
Partner, Tax Services
Ms. White has 20 years of tax experience and has served both publicly traded and privately owned companies. She has... | Read More
Ms. White has 20 years of tax experience and has served both publicly traded and privately owned companies. She has been actively serving clients in financial services and real estate throughout her time at Grant Thornton. This industry experience includes REITs, real estate development, property management and leasing, single-family home builders, retail shopping centers, and multifamily housing properties.Close