Streamlining Sales Tax Audits
Leveraging Software and E-Records to Develop Reports That Expedite Audits
Recording of a 110-minute CPE/CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will enable corporate sales tax specialists to make strategic use of existing software to create targeted reports that anticipate auditors' data interests and needs—and that contribute to an efficient, less time-intensive audit.
- Why electronic files and leveraging software open opportunities
- Differences between electronic audits and standard audits
- Electronic audit isn’t necessarily statistical and can reduce need for sampling
- Goals for producing a pre-audit report for auditors
- Take more control over what, and how many, records are examined
- Minimize demands on staff to produce documentation for auditor
- Reduce number of follow-up requests for information
- Generally help expedite the audit
- Categories of possible analytical reports
- Exemption certificate-based
- Tax by jurisdiction-based
- Making an effective case for auditor to rely on these reports
The panel will help you plan for and utilize to your best advantage reports such as:
- Transactions reports: Without sales tax, exceeding a tax threshold, at department or division level.
- Exemption certificate reports: Certificates on file, expired certificates.
- Sales tax remitted reports: Tax by jurisdiction.
Senior Tax Consultant
Mr. Geiger works with the company's Tax Process Consulting Group and has more than 25 years of experience with... | Read More
Mr. Geiger works with the company's Tax Process Consulting Group and has more than 25 years of experience with income, sales and use and other taxes, with particular expertise in tax appeals, audit controversies and reverse audits. He also has worked in tax compliance for corporations and for public accounting firms.Close
He has more than 30 years of experience in providing tax, technology and business consulting services in the state and... | Read More
He has more than 30 years of experience in providing tax, technology and business consulting services in the state and local sales/transaction tax arena. Before coming to WTAS, he worked in the SALT practices at two international professional services firms and for a retail food and drug company.Close
Vice President of Government Affairs
Automatic Data Processing
He has responsibility for ADP’s relationships with taxing authorities on sales and use and value-added taxes, and... | Read More
He has responsibility for ADP’s relationships with taxing authorities on sales and use and value-added taxes, and also has worked on efforts to simplify tax compliance and expand the use of tax technology. Before coming to ADP, he was director of the North Carolina Revenue Department's Sales and Use Tax Division.Close