Standards-Related Patents and Standard-Setting Organizations
Navigating the Challenges of SSOs: Licensing, Disclosure and Litigation
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to patent counsel on standards-related patents and standard-setting organizations (SSO). The panel will offer strategies for licensing, meeting disclosure requirements, and navigating standards-related litigation.
- Type of license
- Reasonable and non-discriminatory terms
- Royalty free terms
- Negotiating standards-essential patent claims
- Cross licensing
- Refusals to deal
- Antitrust concerns
- Disclosure requirements
- Understanding individual policies of particular SSO
- Evaluating if/when to meet disclosure requirements
- Failure to disclose
- Court treatment
- Standards-related litigation
- Potential defenses against patent infringement in the context of SSOs
- Court treatment
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What constraints are placed on a licensor that participates in an SSO?
- What factors should patent holders consider when determining if and when to meet an SSO's disclosure requirements?
- What defenses against patent infringement in the context of SSOs should counsel employ?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Thomas J. Scott, Jr.
He chairs the firm's Intellectual Property Group and focuses on all aspects of intellectual property including patent... | Read More
He chairs the firm's Intellectual Property Group and focuses on all aspects of intellectual property including patent prosecution, litigation and licensing, appellate practice and technology licensing.Close
She is a certified patent attorney in the firm’s Business Law Department and a member of its Intellectual... | Read More
She is a certified patent attorney in the firm’s Business Law Department and a member of its Intellectual Property Group, where she focuses on patent issues.Close