Stacking Commercial Insurance Coverage: Insurer and Policyholder Perspectives
Allocating Liability Among Multiple Policies Given Varied Court Interpretations
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss evolving law on stacking commercial business insurance policies, where it is permitted and where it is not, key insurance policy provisions, and insurance policy interpretation maxims typically in play in disputes between insurers and policyholders regarding stacking of policies.
- Common losses in which stacking is implicated
- Types of policies that may be stacked
- Difference in court interpretations between pro rata vs. all sums jurisdictions
- Stacking of self-insured retentions
- Applicable policy provisions and contract construction principles
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the common losses in which stacking is implicated and what kinds of policies may be stacked?
- What jurisdictions allow stacking of multiple years of coverage?
- How have courts in pro rata vs. all sums jurisdictions differed in their interpretations and applications of insurance policy stacking?
- What insurance policy provisions and construction principles are applicable in interpreting the permissibility of stacking?
Lon A. Berk
Hunton & Williams
Mr. Berk assists clients to resolve insurance disputes relating to mass torts, catastrophic events and cyber security... | Read More
Mr. Berk assists clients to resolve insurance disputes relating to mass torts, catastrophic events and cyber security issues. His experience includes the trial of cases involving commercial and insurance disputes. He has represented clients in insurance disputes in state and federal, trial and appellate courts nationwide and in international arbitrations.Close
Lawrence D. (Larry) Mason
Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney
Mr. Mason's trial and appellate practice is focused on assisting businesses in achieving successful, cost-effective... | Read More
Mr. Mason's trial and appellate practice is focused on assisting businesses in achieving successful, cost-effective solutions for their litigation problems. His complex commercial litigation experience includes a concentration in insurance and reinsurance coverage, product liability, contract, environmental, toxic tort, construction, and professional liability issues. Mr. Mason is a frequent speaker at CLE functions, industry trade conferences and client training seminars.Close
McCarter & English
Ms. Pastor is the Practice Leader of the firm’s Insurance Coverage Group. She has secured hundreds of millions of... | Read More
Ms. Pastor is the Practice Leader of the firm’s Insurance Coverage Group. She has secured hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance assets for a broad range of policyholder clients. She also provides advice to clients assessing their potential risks, analyzing new insurance products and considering the adequacy of their existing insurance programs.Close