Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts: Income, Gift, Estate, and GST Tax; State Limitations; Building in Powers and Options
A live 90-minute CLE/CPE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will guide trusts and estates counsel on leveraging spousal lifetime access trusts (SLATs) in estate planning in light of the current and ever-changing tax law. The panel will discuss critical issues concerning income, gift, estate, and GST taxes, including pitfalls to avoid. The webinar will explore SLAT basics, discuss how to design SLATs to incorporate flexibility to anticipate an ever-changing landscape as well as review the best way to minimize tax liability and ensure multi-generational gifting and flexible long-term planning.
- Considerations for the use of SLATs in estate planning
- Access to trust assets
- Choice of trustee
- Impact of joint property
- Building in substitution powers and flexibility
- Critical tax considerations under the current tax regime
- Dual trusts (reciprocal trust doctrine)
- SLATs as grantor trusts
- Other tax issues
- Other alternative methods for multi-generational gifting and long-term planning
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the critical considerations for the use of SLATs in estate planning?
- How can you incorporate flexibility and options into your SLATs, and what are the pitfalls to avoid?
- What is the impact of joint property? What if the property is not held in the desired grantor's name?
- What tax issues arise in the use of SLATs under current tax law?
- How does a divorce impact SLATs?
- What are other methods available for multi-generational gifting and long-term planning?
Diedre Wachbrit Braverman
Braverman Law Group
Ms. Braverman practices in the areas of estate planning, special needs planning, asset protection, elder law and... | Read More
Ms. Braverman practices in the areas of estate planning, special needs planning, asset protection, elder law and business planning.Close
Randi M. Grassgreen
Hutchinson Black and Cook
Ms. Grassgreen has provided advice in the areas of sophisticated estate, wealth transfer, income tax and philanthropic... | Read More
Ms. Grassgreen has provided advice in the areas of sophisticated estate, wealth transfer, income tax and philanthropic planning to high net worth individuals for the past twenty-five years. She also provides counsel to entrepreneurs and business owners in structuring entities for tax and asset protection purposes and provides guidance on trust structure and assesses choice of trust situs. Ms. Grassgreen complements her practice by working with high-net-worth families sustain family wealth across generations and amplify impact through family governance best practices, next generation education and by serving in various advisory roles within their family structures. For the twelve years prior to joining HBC, she was a shareholder and Managing Director of Family Wealth Planning of Crestone Capital, a multi-family office headquartered in Boulder, and continues advising those families today. Prior to that, Ms. Grassgreen was a partner of the boutique estate and tax planning firm Gelt, Paddison & Grassgreen, P.C. in Denver, as well as held various senior tax roles as a CPA at Ernst & Young, L.P.Close
Early Discount (through 04/28/23)
Cannot Attend May 25?
Early Discount (through 04/28/23)
You may pre-order a recording to listen at your convenience. Recordings are available 48 hours after the webinar. CPE credit is not available on recordings. Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.