Special Needs Planning in Divorce: Preserving Disability Benefits
Special Needs Trusts, Child Support and Alimony Considerations in Settlement Agreements and Parenting Plans
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare family law attorneys with approaches to preserve disability benefits in divorces involving special needs children or spouses. The panel will identify and explain the complex issues, including alimony, child support, SSI, Medical Assistance (MA), and supplemental and special needs trusts.
- Issues specific to divorce with special needs child or spouse
- Ways to structure alimony and/or child support considering SSI, MA and Medicaid issues
- Special needs and supplemental trusts
- Structuring the settlement agreement and parenting plan
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the specific considerations in divorces involving a spouse or child with special needs that must be addressed when drafting a settlement agreement or parenting plan?
- What approaches are available to counsel when structuring alimony and/or child support considering SSI, MA and Medicaid issues?
- What are some best practices for properly structuring special needs trusts to preserve the rights to alimony or child support and eligibility for SSI/Medicaid benefits?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Judith L. Poller
Her practice is focused on matrimonial and family law matters. She is a published author and a frequent speaker at... | Read More
Her practice is focused on matrimonial and family law matters. She is a published author and a frequent speaker at family law seminars. She has written on divorce and the special needs child. She is a fellow in the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and has been quoted as a family law expert by numerous media outlets.Close
Frederick M. Misilo, Jr.
Special Needs & Elder Law Practice Group Chair
His practice includes elder law, special needs planning, estate planning, estate and trust administration,... | Read More
His practice includes elder law, special needs planning, estate planning, estate and trust administration, guardianship, and DDS advocacy. He is a frequent lecturer on estate planning, special needs planning and elder law. He is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and a member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners.Close
Marisa W. Higgins
She concentrates her practice in all areas of domestic relations law, including divorce, custody, child support and... | Read More
She concentrates her practice in all areas of domestic relations law, including divorce, custody, child support and spousal support. She was a recipient of the Worcester Business Journal’s 40 Under Forty award. She is a speaker at many family law programs and is a frequent participant in the Probate & Family Court Lawyer for the Day Program.Close