Special Needs Planning and the SECURE Act: Impact on Trusts, Multiple IRA Beneficiaries, Disclaimers, Tax Issues
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide elder law attorneys on the SECURE Act's impact on special needs planning. The panel will discuss regulatory and tax rules stemming from the SECURE Act and challenges for retirement benefits, trusts, and distributions. The panel will also provide effective special needs planning techniques in light of the rules, such as structuring or modifying trusts, inherited IRAs, and navigating the challenges of multiple beneficiaries.
- Overview of SECURE Act for elder law attorneys
- Challenges for retirement benefits, trusts, and distributions
- Drafting special needs trusts
- Public benefits considerations
- Tax issues
- Best practices and pitfalls to avoid
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is the impact of the SECURE Act on special needs planning?
- What are the challenges for retirement benefits, trusts, and distributions?
- What are the challenges of inherited IRAs and multiple beneficiaries?
- How can counsel best protect public benefits when drafting special needs trusts?
- What are the tax issues to consider in the drafting process?
- What pitfalls may arise when amending special needs trusts?
Mr. Arkin represents the elderly, the disabled and their caregivers in all facets of Elder Law including Estate... | Read More
Mr. Arkin represents the elderly, the disabled and their caregivers in all facets of Elder Law including Estate Planning, Asset Protection Planning, Public Benefits, Incapacity Planning, Veteran Benefits, and Special Needs Planning. He gained a passion for helping the elderly after watching his own family struggle to afford the care his grandparents needed. Mr. Arkin witnessed how his family was harmed by misinformation regarding Public Benefits and the difficulties they had in navigating the governmental bureaucracy involved with obtaining Medicaid and Veterans Benefits.Close
Patricia E. Kefalas Dudek
Patricia E. Kefalas Dudek & Associates
Ms. Kefalas Dudek's practice focuses on elder law, Medicaid, estate planning, estates/trust administration,... | Read More
Ms. Kefalas Dudek's practice focuses on elder law, Medicaid, estate planning, estates/trust administration, probate, administrative law and disability advocacy. Her practice includes preparing estate planning documents, including SNTs; representation in Medicaid hearings; and the administration of estates, trusts, guardianships and conservatorships. Ms. Kefalas Dudek writes and lectures on SNTs.Close