Solar Energy Land Use and Zoning Issues: Key Regulations, Large-Scale Use Factors and Conflicts, Agreements, Credits
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide renewable energy counsel with an in-depth analysis of critical issues for solar energy land use and zoning. The panel will discuss key federal and state regulatory challenges, identifying solar resources and mapping, use of federal, state and tribal lands, other large-scale solar use factors and conflicts, considerations for lease and easement agreements, and obtaining tax incentives.
- Key federal and state regulations
- Siting and permitting, including
- Local land use considerations
- Conflicts and other use concerns regarding large-scale solar projects
- On-site energy storage
- Leases and easements
- Locating solar facilities on federal, state and tribal lands
- State and local tax incentives and abatements
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the critical federal regulations for solar energy development and land use?
- What recent legislation at the state level focuses on solar energy zoning and land use?
- What are the essential factors to consider for large scale solar use projects?
- What are the key negotiating and drafting points for lease and easement agreements?
- What are the common siting and permitting challenges and methods to overcome them?
- How can you ensure that tax credits and other incentives are maintained?
John W. Andrews
Snell & Wilmer
Mr. Andrews has over 30 years of practice experience in public lands, real estate, mineral, environmental and Native... | Read More
Mr. Andrews has over 30 years of practice experience in public lands, real estate, mineral, environmental and Native American law issues. Before joining Snell & Wilmer in 2018, he was chief legal counsel for Utah’s state land management agency, where he provided legal representation for a 3.4 million acre land portfolio in areas as diverse as renewable energy leasing, federal land exchanges, real estate entitlement and development, mineral leasing and royalty matters, eminent domain, environmental regulation, federal public lands, NEPA, and negotiations with Indian tribes. Mr. Andrews' current practice also includes state government legislative, legal and regulatory matters.Close
Kyle C. Barry
Mr. Barry has an extensive background in business expansion services and economic development projects, with a special... | Read More
Mr. Barry has an extensive background in business expansion services and economic development projects, with a special emphasis on renewable and clean energy projects.Close
D. Brennen Keene
Mr. Keene serves as co-lead of the firm’s renewable energy team. He assists clients with land-use and... | Read More
Mr. Keene serves as co-lead of the firm’s renewable energy team. He assists clients with land-use and transactional matters related to a wide range of real estate development projects, including renewable energy projects, industrial projects, and commercial/mixed-use projects.Close