Small Business Trusts: Drafting Tax-Advantaged QSSTs and ESBTs, Reconciling Trust and S-Corp Documents
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide tax counsel and family office advisers with the understanding and tools to implement best practices in drafting trust documents in anticipation of trust ownership of closely-held businesses, as well as integrating the operating documents of those businesses to preserve tax election advantages. The experienced panelists will discuss drafting techniques for grantor, testamentary, qualified subchapter S trusts (QSSTs) and electing small business trusts (ESBTs), as well as corporate governance and operating requirements.
- S-corporation trusts: Types and characteristics
- Grantor trusts
- Testamentary trusts
- Qualified subchapter S trusts
- Electing small business trusts
- Operational requirements for both trust and S-corporation
- Tax treatment of trusts
- Pitfalls to avoid
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What S-corporation trust drafting techniques should be implemented to maintain advantageous tax attributes?
- What considerations should be made when evaluating and selecting trusts that are allowed to own S-corporation stock?
- What are the operating provisions necessary to ensure preservation of both the S election and the trust status?
Langdon T. Owen, Jr.
Mr. Owen provides tax, business, and estate planning advice, structures various forms of business organizations, and... | Read More
Mr. Owen provides tax, business, and estate planning advice, structures various forms of business organizations, and advises on health care regulation and compliance issues. He also acts as a mediator in business disputes and serves as an arbitrator for a number of national arbitration agencies. Having over 30 years of experience, Mr. Owen is also widely published on a number of tax, estate planning, and business topics.Close
Sydney S. Traum, Esq.
Law Offices of Sydney S. Traum P.A.
Mr. Traum's practice focuses on tax law and estate planning. He is regarded as one of the nation's leading... | Read More
Mr. Traum's practice focuses on tax law and estate planning. He is regarded as one of the nation's leading authorities on S Corporation taxation.He is the author of The S Corporation: Planning & Operation and The S Corporation Answer Book, writes annual supplements, and authored numerous professional publications, including The Tax Adviser and the Journal of Accountancy.Close