Section 112 Issues in IPR Proceedings: Using Section 112 as a Sword or a Shield
Addressing Section 112 Issues in IPR Petitions, Establishing Priority or Earlier Critical Date of Asserted Reference, and More
A live 90-minute premium CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance on Section 112 issues that arise during an inter partes review (IPR) proceeding. The panel will address the PTAB's response to assertions that claims do not comply with 112 and will discuss related claim construction issues. The panel will offer best practices for handling 112 issues in IPRs.
- PTAB responses to assertions made by IPR petitioners that claims do not comply with Section 112
- Factors to consider when deciding whether to challenge claims in an IPR that might be invalid under 112
- How are Section 112 issues addressed by the PTAB treated in counterpart district court litigations?
- Claim construction
- Meeting the claim construction requirements for means-plus-function claims in IPR petitions
- Claim construction standards in IPRs vs. district courts and how they impact 112 considerations
- Requirements for establishing priority of invention from earlier applications or patents
- Requirements for establishing an earlier critical date of an asserted reference
- Requirements for antedating an asserted reference
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How has the PTAB responded to assertions made by IPR petitioners that claims do not comply with Section 112?
- What must patent owners show to establish priority to an earlier application or antedate an asserted reference?
- What must IPR petitioners show to meet the claim construction requirements for means-plus-function claims under Section 112(f)/sixth paragraph?
- How does the PTAB weigh prior determinations concerning priority made during prosecution or a patent challenged in an IPR?
Jonathan R. Bowser
Senior Patent Counsel
Mr. Bowser prepares and litigates post-grant proceedings before the PTAB, and manages litigation, appeals, licensing... | Read More
Mr. Bowser prepares and litigates post-grant proceedings before the PTAB, and manages litigation, appeals, licensing and legal strategy for Unified Patents. He has litigated patent disputes before the PTAB, district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission.Close
Roger H. Lee
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney
Mr. Lee focuses his practice on many areas of intellectual property law, with a special emphasis on inter partes... | Read More
Mr. Lee focuses his practice on many areas of intellectual property law, with a special emphasis on inter partes matters before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He has challenged and defended patents in inter partes review (IPR) and reexamination proceedings. He is experienced with trial practice and procedure before the PTAB in post-grant proceedings under the America Invents Act. His practice includes the preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications. He is experienced in all phases of patent prosecution, from drafting applications to appeals before the PTAB. He provides strategic counseling and opinions concerning validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate issues.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 01/25/19)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $300 (through 01/25/19)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $9.45 S&H