Sales Tax Issues for Products and Services: Taxable and Nontaxable Components, Audit Defense, Documentation
Note: CLE credit is not offered on this program
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This webinar will provide guidance to tax professionals and advisers on key issues regarding the sales taxation of products and services. The panel will provide a detailed analysis of transactions and products containing both taxable and nontaxable components, classifying products and services for sales tax purposes, and documentation, as well as offer best practices for audit defense for taxpayers.
- Determining the applicability of sales tax to products and services
- Transactions with both taxable and nontaxable components
- Recent state sales tax legislation
- Best practices for tax professionals and multistate businesses
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- What approaches are states taking to define the nature of products or services for purposes of determining taxability for sales and use tax?
- How do various states treat contracts and transactions that contain both taxable and nontaxable components for state sales and use tax purposes?
- How are states approaching the question of the taxability of mixed bag transactions?
- What are the techniques for structuring contracts and transactions to segregate taxable from nontaxable services and products?
Kent DeBruin, JD, LLM
Manager, State and Local Taxes
Overall, Mr. DeBruin has ten years of experience in state and local taxation. Although he specializes in all areas of... | Read More
Overall, Mr. DeBruin has ten years of experience in state and local taxation. Although he specializes in all areas of state and local taxes including state income and franchise, sales and use, and property tax, he initially spent several years focusing on property tax issues and other Michigan tax issues for the Michigan Tax Tribunal. The majority of Mr. DeBruin's career has been spent on addressing sales and use tax issues, with a focus on the manufacturing, automotive, and technology sectors. His experience includes planning and restructuring of multi-state businesses, audit controversy and appeals, litigation support, nexus studies, voluntary disclosure agreements, tax credits, mergers and acquisitions, and refund recoveries.Close
Anthony Nagorski, J.D.
State & Local Tax Senior Manager
Mr. Nagorski has nearly 10 years of sales and use tax experience within State and Local Tax, covering all industries... | Read More
Mr. Nagorski has nearly 10 years of sales and use tax experience within State and Local Tax, covering all industries and States. He primarily advises clients on sales and use tax planning, controversy, compliance, and process matters.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Early Discount (through 12/04/20)
CPE credit processing is available for an additional fee of $39. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event.
See NASBA details.
Live Webinar & CPE Processing
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $200 (through 12/04/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$294 + $24.45 S&H