S Corporations and Inadvertent Terminations
Navigating Complex Federal Rules for Termination Triggers and Relief
Recording of a 80-minute CPE/CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare tax advisors to avoid inadvertent termination of S corporation elections at the federal level.
- Current state of federal regs and guidance on inadvertent S corporation terminations
- Violating standards of domestic vs. foreign ownership
- Violating standards for ownership levels
- Missing initial or recertification deadlines
- Where termination issue becomes important in business transactions
- E.g. trust ownership of S corporations
- When S corporation is acquisition target
The panel will explore these and other critical areas:
- Events that will lead to an inadvertent termination, involving for example, excess passive investment income, non-resident shareholders, and errors on or changes to forms.
- Differing termination events used by certain states.
Sydney S. Traum
BBA, JD, LLM (Tax), CPA
Law Offices of Sydney S. Traum P.A.
Mr. Traum is the author of two textbooks, "The S Corporation: Planning & Operation" and "The S... | Read More
Mr. Traum is the author of two textbooks, "The S Corporation: Planning & Operation" and "The S Corporation Answer Book," both from Aspen Publishers Inc. He is a member of the American Bar Association Tax Section's S Corporations Committee.Close
She handles all inadvertent termination relief rulings for her firm, where she specializes in transactional and... | Read More
She handles all inadvertent termination relief rulings for her firm, where she specializes in transactional and compliance issues regarding S corporations, trusts and estates. She has nearly 20 years of experience in accounting and formerly worked as an attorney for the IRS Chief Counsel Office of Pass-Throughs and Special Industries.Close