Rights of Publicity and Social Media: Navigating the Complexities Absent Clear Court Guidance
Leveraging Social Media and Minimizing Exposure to Infringement Risk
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide companies and counsel on leveraging social media in brand promotion while navigating the right of publicity. The panel will offer best practices for minimizing infringement risks with little court precedent as guidance and differing state laws.
- Impact of social media on the right of publicity
- Potential legal challenges that arise and steps to avoid the common pitfalls
- Best practices for navigating rights of publicity in the social media context
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How is social media challenging the traditional definition of a celebrity? What concerns does this raise for businesses?
- What can businesses and counsel do to minimize the risk of violating rights of publicity when using social media to promote the brand?
- What best practices should companies and counsel employ when navigating the right of publicity in social media?
Ms. Boisineau focuses her practice on trademark prosecution, counseling, enforcement and licensing, as well as... | Read More
Ms. Boisineau focuses her practice on trademark prosecution, counseling, enforcement and licensing, as well as providing trademark litigation support. She assists clients with all stages of securing trademark protection with an emphasis on the selection and enforcement of trademarks domestically and internationally. Ms. Boisineau frequently authors publications and speaks on topics of interest to the IP community.Close
Jonathan S. Jennings
Pattishall McAuliffe Newbury Hilliard & Geraldson
Mr. Jennings protects brands, copyrighted works and domain names throughout the world. As part of his practice, he... | Read More
Mr. Jennings protects brands, copyrighted works and domain names throughout the world. As part of his practice, he represents plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of disputes involving trademark, copyright, trade secret, right of publicity, breach of contract, unfair competition and false advertising claims. Mr. Jennings teaches a course on right of publicity and privacy law at the John Marshall Law School.Close
Cydney A. Tune
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman
Ms. Tune leads the firm's Copyrights Group and Media & Entertainment Industry Teams. Her practice includes a... | Read More
Ms. Tune leads the firm's Copyrights Group and Media & Entertainment Industry Teams. Her practice includes a wide variety of intellectual property issues, including copyrights and trademarks, as well as a broad array of entertainment, licensing and E-Commerce matters. She represents a variety of clients—large and small, domestic and foreign, and in many different industries.Close