Ricci v. DeStefano: Balancing Title VII Disparate Treatment and Disparate Impact
Leveraging the Supreme Court's Guidance on Employment Testing and its Impact on Voluntary Compliance Actions
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will analyze the Supreme Court's ruling in Ricci v. DeStefano and its impact on employers’ use of employment-related tests and other voluntary compliance programs. The panel will also discuss the burden of proof in future disparate impact or reverse discrimination lawsuits.
- Analysis of Supreme Court’s ruling
- Impact of ruling on employment standards and voluntary compliance programs
- Use of employment tests
- Other employment standards
- Reductions in force
- Affirmative action plans
- Diversity plans
- Impact of decision on future litigation
- Employer’s burden of proof for disparate impact cases
- Standards for motion for summary judgment
- Steps to reduce risk of litigation
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- Is the Court's ruling limited to employment-related tests or does it have a broader application to other employment decisions?
- Does the Ricci decision change the burden of proof in disparate impact cases?
- What steps should employers take with respect to existing or future employment-related tests and voluntary compliance measures in light of the Supreme Court's decision?
Teresa R. Tracy
She represents companies nationwide in wrongful termination litigation, discrimination claims, wage and hour claims,... | Read More
She represents companies nationwide in wrongful termination litigation, discrimination claims, wage and hour claims, class and collective action litigation, affirmative action, union organizing campaigns, grievances, arbitrations and collective bargaining. She stresses a preventive approach that allows management as much latitude as possible in employee relations while avoiding unnecessary litigation.Close
William D. Deveney
Elarbee Thompson Sapp & Wilson
His practice focuses on defense of employment-related claims and he provides employment-related training and proactive... | Read More
His practice focuses on defense of employment-related claims and he provides employment-related training and proactive counseling on effective employment policies and day-to-day employment matters to a variety of industrial, commercial and retail employers. He provides advice and counseling to general counsel and corporate legal departments regarding best practices, as well as litigation avoidance.Close
Access Anytime, Anywhere
Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include program handouts.
CLE On-Demand Audio